Wolfemomma - Our Homestead Journey

WolfeMomma

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Had my last exam yesterday, didn't go that well. I followed the study guide..I thought. But the first 20 questions were on a subject that I didn't study and didn't see on the guide. I had to go from memory of when I last read about it. Ill be lucky if I get a high mark on this. Kind of stressed out because of it. But oh well....At least I knew all the other material really well :hu
On another note...
I separated the ram away from my ewes, he is just to aggressive towards us when he is with them. When he is by him self, he can be feisty, but not nearly as bad. He isn't happy about being alone , but he can see them all day they are just on the other side of the fence. We ran electric wire around the top of his pen...just incase he gets any ideas lol I have already seen him get zapped in the head once.
All the Ewes are doing good. Just eating hay and enjoying life. All of our snow melted off, I think we are supposed to be getting around 2 inches sometime this week. So hopefully a white Christmas :)

WolfeMomma

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Haha, Mr Bad Attitude has to cool his heels. Haha. Thank you for reminding me why we drove 1400 miles round trip to get Ringo! Gosh I love that boy!
Our guys attitude I think has to do with us loving on him to much when he was younger. His sire was well behaved . Im not sure if it has anything to do with the blood lines or not.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sorry the test didn't go as planned. Hopefully your deep memory stored the info you needed that wasn't in the study guide.

Sounds like maybe you need a wether to keep the ram company. As a herd animal I would think seeing but not being a part of the flock would be somewhat stressful.

WolfeMomma

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind a decent quality wether, what I have seen for sale, I wouldn't want on my property 😣 Im always on the look out though. Do you think I could keep his ram lambs with him once they are weaned?

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes you can keep his ram lambs with him. We often put our ram lambs in with the older rams. Watch for any bullying.... we have had a few get aggressive. But since he is alone, if you put the young rams in with him, he might be glad of the company. He might pick out a favorite to "hang out with" and he might single out one to pick on. Just have to watch and see. Make sure they are mature enough when you introduce them, still they will be too young to "challenge him" . We raise White Texas Dall sheep. We will run all the rams of each age together, then after they hit 2-3 yr olds, they will get co-mingled. But we have several pastures to put them in. Plus we try to keep younger and older together in smaller groups so they don't get into too many "head ramming" contests and break their horns.

WolfeMomma

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I hope everyone had a good holiday. We enjoyed our Christmas, was nice and relaxing just hanging out at home :)
Nothing much else to update on. Looking forward to January, Lambs I put my order in for some new years eve ewe lambs :lol: Probably won't happen, but hey one can wish cant they!