Wolfemomma - Our Homestead Journey

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ewes butt lambs not their own. Sneaky lambs will suckle any ewe and the really crafty ones will take a teat while the lamb is on the other teat. They can usually get a suckle or two before the ewe realizes she's got an extra. LOL

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
That is also one of the reasons that years ago, many would get up their ewes real close to lambing and put them in "jugs" or small pens so the ewes would bond with their own lambs and the lambs would know exactly who to go to. Maybe the lamb trying to go on the other ewe isn't real sure who its mother is?

WolfeMomma

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Well everyone is doing very well. They all got there shots , and looked over. Now just to wait for my other two ewes to have their lambs and then we are done :)
Should we wait to tag their ears? or is now ok. Their ears are so little and the tags seem so big compared to them. Its my least favorite thing to do. I have to let hubby do it .

WolfeMomma

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The Lambs got some time outside today before the snow started coming down. They enjoyed running all over the place. The little ram lambs are so much more curious and active then the little ewe lamb. She will play a bit, but not as much as them. Its so cute to watch them! Im still waiting on lambs from the other two. One I think will go soon. The other....No clue, If I had to take a wild guess I would say maybe early Feb end of jan. She is showing no signs other then a giant stomach lol
So Lamb watch is still on!! Fingers crossed for some ewe lambs from the one that I think is going soon because I can breed them to my ram I have now, and build up my group of brood ewes if they compliment him. I will make sure to post some new pictures of them today :)

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Lambing is so exciting. We bought 4 bred ewes. I checked on them at 10:30 at night before we went to bed, up first thing in the morning to see if there were lambs yet and all day long. I went out one morning to find that not one, but two ewes had lambed and they both had twins! I called my husband on the cell phone, sputtering BABIES!BABIES! BABIES! BABIES! When I finally took a breath, he said "What?" And I got LAMBS out of my mouth and then he came running to see them.

You know what? I never stop being excited over lambs.

You are off and running in the great adventure of lambs. There's nothing like it.

WolfeMomma

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Some new lamb pictures 😍
Meadow
IMG_20200116_093623_052.jpg

Thor and Loki
20200116_084326.jpg

Thor
20200116_084334.jpg

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I start a new thread for lambing every year. You might want to do the same thing, over time, your journal will get very long and you will have to sift through pages of your journal to read back on your lambings. Just an idea. ;)

Latest posts