Won’t eat loose minerals

mamacole4

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
My girls are 4 months old. It the middle of winter here in Colfax Wisconsin. When I first got my girls in the fall they would eat a good amount of there loose minerals. I’ve noticed since it’s gotten colder there not touching there minerals. Have they lost interest or is this normal for the winter time? I feed them the manna pro goat loose minerals. I had to put the minerals in a ziplock bag because the original bag got destroyed. Could the minerals be stale and that’s why there not interested? I’m worried there not getting the stuff they need being it’s winter time. There eating hay 24/7 and I give them a little sweet feed twice a day.
Thank you in advance for any advice.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
My sheep go back and forth on the minerals. Sometimes they can't get enough, sometimes they ignore the minerals. Just keep the minerals out for them, they will eat what they need.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
You may want to try another brand.

Ours goats used to love Manna Pro goat minerals. Then they stopped eating them. We tried sweetlix and they wouldn’t eat it for the longest time. Then they went crazy for it. Now they won’t touch it.

We recently got a cattle mineral from Southern States (loose like the others) and the goats LOVE it. We recently put out a cobalt block and they really like that too.

I believe @babsbag dealt with some issues until she found a mineral her goats liked.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Mine wouldn't eat the Purina or Manna Pro brand. I tried another brand, SweetLix, and they devour them.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Our stopped the Manna pro along time ago... went to sweetlix... nope
Manna pro doesn't have cobalt... sweetlix does... but what's the point if they don't eat it.
We have recently switched to SS Weathershed Beef Mineral 2:1. They love it.

Latest posts