wondering about how to set up fence...

ohiogoatgirl

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
electric wire netting that i can move?
OR electric strand wire? how many strands? what type of posts?
OR regular welded wire fence? how high?

i was thinking having a few smaller pastures set up that i could rotationally graze. and a permanent ram pasture or slightly smaller 2 part pasture so i could switch him back and forth make sure he doesnt overgraze and then not have anything to eat and a mud-pasture.

i do not have any sheep i am just throwing around things in my head and on paper so i can hopefully start saving up.
when i get sheep though i am going to be getting shetlands or soay. smaller breed that shed their wool (no shearing charges yay).

i live in hilly farm area. i have goats and after having bulldozer and reindeer flying goats i WILL NOT put up with escapee animals! so i would love everyones opinions on fencing types, heights, posts, everything!!!

any sheep tips or info will be much appreciated :D thanks

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
I would definitely feel better about having the perimeter in normal fencing. My personal preference is the woven wire no climb horse fence. The welded wire definitely rusts faster. My woven wire is 7 years old and no sign of rust.

As far as the electric fencing from Premier, that is very good fencing. I would consider putting up enough permanent fence that it is easy to move around the electric fencing to make smaller pastures.

ohiogoatgirl

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
my bad, i meant woven wire, not welded wire. was just over at a rabbit forum :rolleyes: hahaha

yes i've read some very good things from people about that type electric net fence so thats why i looked that one up. seems to have better price then the first one i looked at as well i believe.

that is a good idea about doing a perimiter. though i was hoping to not spend tons on fence :/ but i sure will spend as much as is needed if it means i wont be chasing sheep around. though you wouldbt believe the compliments i get for how good i am catching goats....

ohiogoatgirl

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
reading now about rams being housed/pastured alone being mean... so now i'm thinking have a ram/wether pasture(s) and then an ewe/lambs pasture(s). so i will have perfectly good reason for keeping those adorable wether lambs :p other then more wool for selling/spinning.

EllieMay

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We are currently installing woven wire field fencing (high-tensile, fixed-knot) and have three pasture areas completed.
I make sure the fence guys install the fence close to the ground so my LGD's don't look for opportunities to escape.

I also have the electric netting from Premier that I keep my ram enclosed in (two rolls of netting to make a larger pasture area).
He is in an area next to the ewes pasture. He has two LGD's keeping him company.

I love the electric netting for its ease in moving around; I just don't enjoy pulling it up all the time to mow the grass underneath it.
But it's really not that big of a hassle.

pics%20014_zps9782c094.jpg

bocephus

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Just looking at the TSC website, what's the difference between these fences? They have high tensile field fence at .39 per foot, general purpose .45, goat fence .88. I assume the goat fencing is preferred because of the smaller spacing? Why is the cheap one labeled high tensile, what does that do for you?

ohiogoatgirl

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
:/ i hate fence prices.....

one roll 330ft goat fence $289.99

t posts $4.29 each need 66 post per roll of fence (one post every 5 ft) makes it $283.14 just for posts for one roll of fence.

fence clips are $4.99 for a pack of 50, though last time i bought fence and posts they gave me a couple bags. so i might only end up buying ones to be extra. though after having stupid goats and $#^%&)(&%*^ fencing i might just do 4 clips per post just to be on the safe side...

and a 4ft gate is $55.99

SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME IT AINT SO!!! D:

gruberguy

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Every time I buy T-Post the clips come free, usually 5 per post. And, I've never put T-post every 5', usually I space 15' or so.... Of course I put the t-posts closer where I have small dips or hills....

ohiogoatgirl

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
really? only every 15ft?
after having goats i'm kinda scared to use less then every 5ft a post. with goats even 5ft can be an issue :rant :barnie

i live in a very hilly area. even the "flat" fields are wavy and dippy... :/