Wooden Cable Reels (or other toys)

Meaghan

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
So, I've been looking for "fun" things for the goat kids, but I'm at a loss as to what to get them. I've heard that old wooden cable reels make fun things to jump on, but I've searched Craigslist multiple times and haven't found any for resale.

Are there any other good sources of toys for goats to play on/in?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Cable companies electric companies... go there and they will usually give them to you.

Old tires, big ones off of a tractor etc... dig down into the ground and set them up right... they love them!.

Long planks set up like a ramp is also something they like.

Benches and lawn furniture....

Meaghan

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I forgot to mention, I've been looking for old tires too! None to be found within 2 hours of me. :(

I'll see about benches, there's bound to be some old wooden ones around here somewhere... (I hope!)

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
we also use a few cinder blocks, solid side up for ours to climb on and a tree stump. We have 2 bigger stumps that we will be placing in as well.

Meaghan

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Question!

I just found a CL ad for old semi tires, it turns out they're about 42" in diameter. I'm not sure if these are big enough for the kids to play on or not? I'm used to seeing tractor tires used, but I still haven't found any. These semi tires are free, so it couldn't hurt to see if they like them, but I definitely don't want to take them if they're just junk that the kids shouldn't play on. :)

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
For spools, electric companies will give them away if you call. Menards also has them from time to time when they empty a spool.

Meaghan

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
@Pearce Pastures: Thank you, Southern already suggested that. :) Menards doesn't have any locations out of the Midwest, so Florida is a no go. ;)

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Have you tried any phone companies?
Where there are telephone lines above or below ground you will find spools!;)

Cable companies also use them.

Meaghan

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
@Southern by choice: I haven't. I've been a bit busy with grad school and moving slowly, so I haven't made much progress on finding spools yet. :(

What do you think of the tire size from the semis? Too small?

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
Not at all. We have several tires from cars and the garden tractor that the goats love. I did have to drill some holes through the sidewalls to let water drain through though---mosquito breeding pools!

Latest posts