Woodland living

CrissyCriss

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I want to get a couple Berkshire pigs to raise. I will have them on 5-6 heavily wooded acres. Will the pigs thrive on the land? Can they grow eating acorns and other grub? Will the land be big enough to keep the smell down? I have never had pigs before and im trying to learn all I can before we get any. Thanks in advance!

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think that's plenty of land. Will they grow and thrive (?) - that depends on what's available for them. I am not a pig expert, but I do know they are hearty and will do everything they can to feed themselves. I'd just watch their condition and their rate of gain.... then you could supplement if necessary.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Another thing to seriously consider is fencing. This country already has a rather severe wild (feral) hog problem and pigs can be excellent escape artists. The grass is always greener "over there" and they WILL escape if they can, to get "over there". Though most people are familiar with corporate pig farms where the animals are severely confined and forced to live in their own filth, pigs are NOT naturally that way. They do like to mud bath (think spa treatment for them) but they typically are very clean animals and will pick a corner of their "pen" (given adequate pen space) to do their biz and will always go in that spot. So smell for a couple of pigs on even a couple of heavily wooded acres, would not normally be an issue.

CrissyCriss

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thank you thats good to know. Our fencing would be pallets and electric wire.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Pallets on 5-6 acres? That's a lot of pallets! Electric wire will certainly help. Right now we have 3 feeder pigs, the first we've had. They are in a pen thet is 70'x100' which is the garden, they will be butchered in early spring. I pick up acorns for them, they also snack on pecans and corn. They are a hoot and we are learning more about them. Good luck with your pigs!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I was going to ask the same thing Bay... Then I figured they must mean a pallet enclosure and hot wire for the acreage... I can't imagine the number of pallets required to enclose 5-6 acres... :ep:th... Of course I can't imagine a single hot wire or even several keeping pigs enclosed. They'll break right through them.

CrissyCriss

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Haha yes, a pallet house and hot wire for acreage. We haven't gotten them yet and I am still researching. I think we are gonna go with a smaller pig Like Kune Kunes.