Woodleigh Creek's Rabbitry Journal *Holding off with the rabbits*

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Ahh...I'm sorry you had a bad day :( Hoping tomorrow is a much better one for you.

woodleighcreek

The Rabbit Queen
Reaction score
Well, Hufflepuff never kindled. Im going to give her until Saturday morning only because I dont have any free time to breed her until then.

I DO have an exciting update about Friday's kits. All of them opened their eyes. They are the cutest little things ever and I just have to share pictures! Im still
nut sure of the color on the first one. Opal? Squirrel? A bad chinchilla? I hope not because it has a GREAT head.

2977_p1020905.jpg

2977_p1020907.jpg

2977_p1020908.jpg

2977_p1020909.jpg

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Cute!

I am dying to get into the nest of dh's Flemish, she kindled Monday, but she's one mean, protective mama. I know there are live ones, the fur is wiggling. First time we've had a 1st time mom be a good mom.

woodleighcreek

The Rabbit Queen
Reaction score
Had a good show yesterday, Though I was the only exhibitor so I didnt get any legs. I was supprised at the results however. My rabbit that took 2nd place to my prized rabbit beat him every time this show. Here are the results:

Suka: BOV, BOV, BOS
J~Woww: 2nd place self, 2nd place self
Hummingbird: 2nd place self buck, same, BOSV
Vegas: BOB, BOB, 2nd place self buck
Hot Stuff: BOS, BOS, BOB
Starstruckk: 2nd place shaded, same, same

I also am culling some of my animals and am trying to sex the kits. Right now I think I have a chin doe, a chin buck, a broken chestnut doe, and a chestnut buck. I am hoping to keep the best buck and doe.

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
woodleighcreek said:
Had a good show yesterday, Though I was the only exhibitor so I didnt get any legs. I was supprised at the results however. My rabbit that took 2nd place to my prized rabbit beat him every time this show. Here are the results:

Suka: BOV, BOV, BOS
J~Woww: 2nd place self, 2nd place self
Hummingbird: 2nd place self buck, same, BOSV
Vegas: BOB, BOB, 2nd place self buck
Hot Stuff: BOS, BOS, BOB
Starstruckk: 2nd place shaded, same, same

I also am culling some of my animals and am trying to sex the kits. Right now I think I have a chin doe, a chin buck, a broken chestnut doe, and a chestnut buck. I am hoping to keep the best buck and doe.
:clap Congratulations on the Great Showing! :)

woodleighcreek

The Rabbit Queen
Reaction score
I have a huge weekend this weekend and that is not good considering I am sick. :/ I have a beauty pageant tomorrow than the state fair show after that. Gosh, I am not good at scheduling. Then I need to get some cages hung because I have two **Hopfully** pregnant brood does coming back on Saturday. Ok, So here is basically what happened in the past week.

1) I got elected president of my 4-H club

2) Got the kits sexed: 3 does and a buck.

3) decided who I am keeping. The chin doe and the chestnut buck.

4) Sent J~Woww (blue brood doe) and Huffie (Black brood doe) with another JW breeder to get bred. J~Woww was bred to a broken tort buck and Huffie was bred to a broken blue doe. Will get all blacks and broken blacks out of that. Will keep best doe and buck from J~Woww and best doe from Huffie since I already have a buck by her.

5) Decided who I am selling and when:

Right now: Starstruckk and Vegas
Next Month: One chin doe, one false charlie chestnut doe, and Friday
December: Hufflepuff, J~Woww, and Suka.

That'll leave me with just Hot Stuff, Hummingbird, Kicks (Chin Doe), Dreamy (chestnut buck), a buck from J~Woww, a doe from J~Woww, and a doe from Huffie.

That way I wont be breaking my mothers "8 adult rabbit" rule. Then again, I broke her 1, 2, and 3 rabbit rule. ;)

woodleighcreek

The Rabbit Queen
Reaction score
One of my rabbits, Star, decided to get ear mites. EAR MITES! two days before the show. :barnie It is all scabby and bloody and gross so I have been putting mineral oil in it. I hope the judge wont notice...I guess I will be cleaning out his ears tomorrow before the show starts. :sick Anyways...I am still excited for the fair tomorrow, though I doubt their will be any more Jersey Wooly breeders other than me, my brother, and my friend from 4-H whose rabbit will be DQ'd for having a Vienna mark and missing his testicles. :hide I tried to explain to him that his bun will be disqualified for not being...entire...but he didnt listen. :rolleyes:

eta. Just remembered, there will be MONEY involved! :weee. Maybe I can get some more chains to get my cages hung and get another cage.

woodleighcreek

The Rabbit Queen
Reaction score
The Vienna gene is the gene which causes BEWs (Blue eyed white). When a BEW is bread to a coloured rabbit, the babies will most likley have a white spot/spots on them. This is called a Vienna marked rabbit. For example, my friend has a black jersey wooly with a white spot on his head and on his nose. This is not to be confused with white spots, which are also a DQ, but are not caused by the Vienna gene. One of my brood does has one on her chest.

Vienna marks are good to keep if you want to breed for BEWs. I wish I had talked to my friend before he had his bunny fixed. because I LOVE BEW.