Woodleigh Creek's Rabbitry Journal *Holding off with the rabbits*

woodleighcreek

The Rabbit Queen
Reaction score
elevan said:
Thanks for the education :D
No problem. I had no idea what one was either until I met that little wooly. I spent hours trying to find out what color it was until my 4-H leader explained it was a Vianna mark.

woodleighcreek

The Rabbit Queen
Reaction score
I tried to breed Hot Stuff to Suka today with no avail. After checking both rabbits to make sure they were ready, I put Hot Stuff in Suka's cage, and he just wasn't interested. That is really weird considering he will mount any doe in his reach. He has been like this for the past month. Ill put a doe in with him and he just ignores her. Or he mounts her and just kind of sits there. He is my only breeding age buck that I want to breed to Hot Stuff (he has a nice, big head which I am working on) and im not sure what is wrong. Is he just old? He will be 4 in December. This is really upsetting as I would like to get Hot Stuff by a year, and I dont want to settle with another buck who's head I dont like!

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
woodleighcreek said:
I tried to breed Hot Stuff to Suka today with no avail. After checking both rabbits to make sure they were ready, I put Hot Stuff in Suka's cage, and he just wasn't interested. That is really weird considering he will mount any doe in his reach. He has been like this for the past month. Ill put a doe in with him and he just ignores her. Or he mounts her and just kind of sits there. He is my only breeding age buck that I want to breed to Hot Stuff (he has a nice, big head which I am working on) and im not sure what is wrong. Is he just old? He will be 4 in December. This is really upsetting as I would like to get Hot Stuff by a year, and I dont want to settle with another buck who's head I dont like!
I think the heat has got a lot of animals all messed up. I didn't realize how much heat affects a rabbit's breeding cycle. Both does and bucks. I don't think he's old at 4 years old. I think he's just tired of this heat and he's just not interested. Give him another month. Let the fall weather come in. Maybe that will spunk him up. Don't settle is all I'm saying. Give him just a little more time. Wishing him back to his spunky self. :)

woodleighcreek

The Rabbit Queen
Reaction score
Ms. Research said:
woodleighcreek said:
I think the heat has got a lot of animals all messed up. I didn't realize how much heat affects a rabbit's breeding cycle. Both does and bucks. I don't think he's old at 4 years old. I think he's just tired of this heat and he's just not interested. Give him another month. Let the fall weather come in. Maybe that will spunk him up. Don't settle is all I'm saying. Give him just a little more time. Wishing him back to his spunky self. :)
It only gets to about 80 degrees here in the day time and I have an air conditioner. He and Friday produced a litter of 4 in 100 degree heat with the air conditioner. Im just not sure what is up with him. Hopefully my 4-H leader will help me get him bred tomorrow.

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
woodleighcreek said:
Ms. Research said:
woodleighcreek said:
It only gets to about 80 degrees here in the day time and I have an air conditioner. He and Friday produced a litter of 4 in 100 degree heat with the air conditioner. Im just not sure what is up with him. Hopefully my 4-H leader will help me get him bred tomorrow.
Then it truly can't be the heat. Hopefully your 4-H Leader can find out the cause tomorrow. Good Luck. :)

woodleighcreek

The Rabbit Queen
Reaction score
Ms. Research said:
woodleighcreek said:
Ms. Research said:
Then it truly can't be the heat. Hopefully your 4-H Leader can find out the cause tomorrow. Good Luck. :)
Thanks so much! I love that buck so much and I would like to get one more litter out of him before I sell him in December.

woodleighcreek

The Rabbit Queen
Reaction score
The SC State fair show was GREAT today! 4 of my 4-H friends came and It was AWESOME! There were 4 JW breeders and 10 rabbits (7 were mine). I was surprised that no one got DQ'd. The little Vienna mark was shown as a broken even though he had 99% color. I heard that this was because it was more of a learning experience. Vegas got BOB and a leg, Hot Stuff got BOS, Suka was BOV, Friday was BOV, Hummingbird was 2nd place Self Buck, J~Woww was 2nd place self doe, Huffie was 3rd place self doe, and Starstrukk (My brother's rabbit) was BIC.

Vegas got honorable mention on the BIS table. The judge said he needed just a bit more flesh condition, but he should be my new herd sire. :D :weee I looooovvvve Vegas! :love He is one of my favourite buns.

I ended up giving Starstruckk back to his breeder because my brother is not taking care of him and I dont have the room.

Last, I a lot of money :)celebrate) and got the rest of my hanging cages up. Put Huffie and J~Woww in those.

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
woodleighcreek said:
The SC State fair show was GREAT today! 4 of my 4-H friends came and It was AWESOME! There were 4 JW breeders and 10 rabbits (7 were mine). I was surprised that no one got DQ'd. The little Vienna mark was shown as a broken even though he had 99% color. I heard that this was because it was more of a learning experience. Vegas got BOB and a leg, Hot Stuff got BOS, Suka was BOV, Friday was BOV, Hummingbird was 2nd place Self Buck, J~Woww was 2nd place self doe, Huffie was 3rd place self doe, and Starstrukk (My brother's rabbit) was BIC.

Vegas got honorable mention on the BIS table. The judge said he needed just a bit more flesh condition, but he should be my new herd sire. :D :weee I looooovvvve Vegas! :love He is one of my favourite buns.

I ended up giving Starstruckk back to his breeder because my brother is not taking care of him and I dont have the room.

Last, I a lot of money :)celebrate) and got the rest of my hanging cages up. Put Huffie and J~Woww in those.
:thumbsup And awesome news on the judge's comment on Vegas. Now, THAT was worth going. Sorry to hear about Starstruck, but hey, if your brother isn't taking care of it, you are wise to sell. Nice to help out a sibling, but why do all the work for them. and they get all the credit.

Glad you had a excellent time with your 4-H friends. Always nice to go to a show with people you know. Nice to cheer each other on.

Again Congratulations on your successful showing of your AWESOME herd. :)

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
Wow, I'm so impressed! I thought you were older than you are, you are very well spoken and knowledgeable!! AND, I LOVE that picture of the bunny sitting on the stool. One of my favorites! The colors are superb and the bunny is so cute! Speaking of cute, those kits are so adorable!!! :love