Wool around eyes

Alexz7272

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
So I have an ewe that I do not know her breed at all but she has wool very close to her eyes, not like my other ewe and ram. I swear there is no way she can possibly see but she does just fine. I am thinking maybe I could trim around her eye to make it easier for her? I clean around it at least weekly but it just keeps getting dirtier and dirtier and its making me nervous. I could not get a very good picture though, she saw me poking at Nala's infected eye and wanted nothing to do with me, haha. What could I use to clip that area? I have not bought shearers or clippers yet, would now be a good time and if so, what do you recommend? Or am I off my rocker and she is fine? :idunno
THANK YOU!
IMG_7314.JPG

I swear there is an eye in there :eek:

The Old Ram-Australia

Herd Master
Reaction score
GdayAlexz,Excessive wool around can lead to what is called 'wool blindness',as the strands can enter the eye and cause irritation, much like when you get a lash turn into your own eye.You can at a 'pinch' use any half decent pair of scissors and just trim about an inch all round.A word of caution lay the scissors flat on the skin so as not to'spear her',GOOD LUCK....T.O.R.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yeah, good luck. That looks like a job that would go better with a couple of helpers.

Alexz7272

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Thank you!
@Baymule That is what I am thinking! Now where to find some people willing to rumble in the dirt and wrestle a sheep :tongue

Alexz7272

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Okay, so I just cut some wool. She still wont really open her eyes and there is ALOT of gookey stuff. I opened her eyelid and it seems like her eyes are point downward? I dont know if thats because I am looking at then or what.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Her eyes may be irritated from the wool. I think I would treat them with an antibiotic drop or ointment too.