Wool around eyes

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Alexz7272, Here is a tip that I have done thousands of times to treat sheep by yourself . Stand next to the sheep's side, hold the sheep's head at the lower jaw with one hand, then swiftly bend it's head away from you and toward it's outside shoulder while you place your knee against it's side just behind it's front leg closest to the sheep's head and as it starts to roll over your knee, you will easily force it to sit onto it's posterior on the ground grab both of it's front legs to steady it and rest between your knees. You can then use both of your free hands to treet the eyes, sheer the wool on it's head, legs, belly and crotch, trim it's hooves, etc.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Alexz7272, Here is a tip that I have done thousands of times to treat sheep by yourself . Stand next to the sheep's side, hold the sheep's head at the lower jaw with one hand, then swiftly bend it's head away from you and toward it's outside shoulder while you place your knee against it's side just behind it's front leg closest to the sheep's head and as it starts to roll over your knee, you will easily force it to sit onto it's posterior on the ground grab both of it's front legs to steady it and rest between your knees. You can then use both of your free hands to treet the eyes, sheer the wool on it's head, legs, belly and crotch, trim it's hooves, etc.

Same way we do it....word to the wise watch out for the hooves, some are feisty and will still kick randomly lol.

Alexz7272

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Thank you! I did that and it was WAY easier. I am waiting for the gambrel and shears to get here friday to finish cleaning up. The whole top of her head is a mat of those foxtail, I feel awful.
She did have one or two in her eyes. I got all but a small piece out. Is there a way I can maybe flush her eye safely?
I feel like such a bad sheep mom :(

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Glad you were able to get most of it out, hopefully the rest will come out with a rinse, I would use the saline solution in a syringe and hopefully get it all. Even with vacuuming my yard my dog got one in her eye; thankfully we saw it before it got lodged in too deep. They are insidious things.

Alexz7272

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I will try that, I definitely have saline, thank you! As soon as I get the shears I'm going all the way. I had to use a razor blade and did the best I could.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
54641cs.jpg

https://www.premier1supplies.com/sheep-guide/2012/10/using-premiers-deck-chair/

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I had someone come and do some goat hoof trims for me and they were used to doing sheep. She sat them on their rump, like in the chair but without one, and trimmed those hooves. I think my goats were shocked. :lol: But it worked. I hold bucklings like that when I band them.

Alexz7272

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The gambrel made a HUGE difference. Unfortunately her face/nose was MUCH worse then I thought :(
I cut until it got dark and will get some more tomorrow then my dad is coming Saturday. On the funny side I got peed on by a sheep for the first time in my life :hide

IMG_7351.JPG
IMG_7353.JPG
IMG_7358.JPG
IMG_7359.JPG
IMG_7356.JPG

Reactions: TAH

Latest posts