Wool around eyes

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
No better reason @misfitmorgan !! I have some arthritis in my hands, mostly notice it in my thumb joints all the time, other finger joints if I have to do things that require holding things for a long time. Not a lot of grip, in fact my wife's uncle died 3 years ago at 97. We saw him a week before he died and his handshake was still stronger than anything I have ever been capable of. Maybe you can find a shaft and cable shearer on Ebay or Craig's list. You have me thinking that direction all of a sudden!

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
G'day,MFM,I would suggest that he has a look at the new Heininger model it looks from the photo to be as slim as a normal shafted hand piece..https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...X&ved=0ahUKEwjYt8vAteXPAhVGnJQKHRDYAY4QsAQINA
...T.O.R.

I will have to show him those...thank you so much TOR!

No better reason @misfitmorgan !! I have some arthritis in my hands, mostly notice it in my thumb joints all the time, other finger joints if I have to do things that require holding things for a long time. Not a lot of grip, in fact my wife's uncle died 3 years ago at 97. We saw him a week before he died and his handshake was still stronger than anything I have ever been capable of. Maybe you can find a shaft and cable shearer on Ebay or Craig's list. You have me thinking that direction all of a sudden!

Yep DH is at the point his has numb portions of his hands now and he has good days and bad days on bad days he drops a lot of stuff on good days he only drops a few things. DH is very strong so as long as he can make his hands hold on he gets most things done that take some force...its things that require hand strength he has trouble with. Defeinately going to keep an eye on ebay and have been watching craigslist too. You defaintely might want to consider it, the motor in hand style weight 6-7lbs

@NH homesteader
She is 200x better!! Still need to pull some out but so far looks to have all been in her wool, super grateful

How is she doing? Is her eye clearing out at all?

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I will have to show him those...thank you so much TOR!

Yep DH is at the point his has numb portions of his hands now and he has good days and bad days on bad days he drops a lot of stuff on good days he only drops a few things. DH is very strong so as long as he can make his hands hold on he gets most things done that take some force...its things that require hand strength he has trouble with. Defeinately going to keep an eye on ebay and have been watching craigslist too. You defaintely might want to consider it, the motor in hand style weight 6-7lbs

How is she doing? Is her eye clearing out at all?
Your hubby just might also have carpal tunnel syndrome in addition to arthritis. Surgery for it works great to correct the numbness issue.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Your hubby just might also have carpal tunnel syndrome in addition to arthritis. Surgery for it works great to correct the numbness issue.

He does he was diagnosed with it 4yrs ago. They want to do the surgery on both of his wrists but he wont let them do it cause he will be down for 6 months.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Some people do it on both at the same time (makes some personal hygiene things a bit difficult) others one at a time. He was told 6 months recuperation time?? Was that total with them done serially, 3 months each?

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
He does he was diagnosed with it 4yrs ago. They want to do the surgery on both of his wrists but he wont let them do it cause he will be down for 6 months.
I had the surgery on my right wrist. Doctors think that most of us are wimps and need a course of physical therapy to restore function starting 2 weeks after the surgery. When I called to make the appointment for physical therapy, they said I needed to come in in 2 weeks for an evaluation then another 2 weeks to start the therapy. Since animals can't understand the need for time off for the owner and want to eat every day ... On my ranch ,3 days after my surgery it was business almost as usual as I took it easy and was favoring my right hand somewhat, as I had just a little pain so a couple aspirin was all that was needed, I fed a ton of alfalfa hay and 300 lbs. of grain per week ( load and unload a pickup load 2x daily ) and mucked 8 stalls daily ( poop poop detail - load and unload a wheelbarrow full of manure for each stall onto pastures ) . Not to mention handling the animals in and out of the barn and pastures. I also took care of the yard and garden ( weeding, harvesting, irrigation, etc. ). A week after the surgery I butchered a lamb by myself .

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't have any personal experience but I think it somewhat unprofessional to say therapy will start in a month when they haven't yet seen the patient and won't for 2 weeks. I can understand the 2 week "healing period" but every patient is different and would likely benefit from starting PT and different times, potentially at the 2 week mark.

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
College and professional sport players start their physical therapy as soon as possible ( same day, next day or just a bit more) after the injury. Depending on the injury, waiting 2 weeks is too late as the injury part is well along on its healing and gets set into place and looses range of motion, etc..

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Some people do it on both at the same time (makes some personal hygiene things a bit difficult) others one at a time. He was told 6 months recuperation time?? Was that total with them done serially, 3 months each?

They want to do both wrists at once and was told 6 months total recovery time if both were done at once. He has another thing on his wrist i cant recall the name of but the Dr said if it ruptured or something it would kill him, its like a smallish lump that you only notice if he bend his hand back but guess that is also pressing on his tendons and stuff and causing for hand problems.

Biggest issue is, there is no one else to do the work he does on the farm. He also currently holds a nail gun most of the day for work so that would be impossible. I can do the livestock chores but i cant do stuff like start the tractors or run them except to drive around, i dont know how to use the attachments/loader. He does all the work on our vehicles and puts up the hay, straw, oats, corn, etc. I have been trying to talk him into getting the surgery this winter but he told me know because i cant split firewood and with him out of work we wont be able to afford to buy it for the whole winter. Basically he is just very worried if he has the surgery something will go wrong in everyday life that he will HAVE to do and mess the whole surgery up. Still trying to see if i can talk him into just doing one wrist and seeing how it goes.

College and professional sport players start their physical therapy as soon as possible ( same day, next day or just a bit more) after the injury. Depending on the injury, waiting 2 weeks is too late as the injury part is well along on its healing and gets set into place and looses range of motion, etc..

Thats what happened to my dad when he broke his knee they made his wait 2 months after surgery to start PT and he never regained full range of motion. I always found it really odd because when you have knee replacement surgery the very next day they start PT.