Wool Preparation for Spinning and Felting

Four Winds Ranch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thanks!!:)
I appreciate your sharing!!!!
I am going to have to talk to Santa about getting me a top load washer! It will make this job a lot easier!!!:fl

CocoNUT

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
FWR - try and have Santa pick one up off of Craig's List...that way if/when it gets all 'nasty' it'll be OK cause it's not a nice, shiny, brand new one!
But having the ability to wash the wool in a washing machine is a LOT easier than doing it in the tub or sink! (I only use the tub if the wool is REALLY nasty and still has a decent amount of VM in it after picking through it once or twice.)

Bridge, as always, you are a SAINT for posting this!

Bridgemoof

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Coco, I started out washing wool in the double sink. The washer works much better because a) the water gets a lot hotter and b) the spin cycle gets most of the water out and it doesn't weigh 20 pounds when you try and pick it up. So much better!

I'm getting ready to wash the "gorilla suit" :lol:

I guess I should be taking pictures to photo document it! It's in sad, sad, shape and it's HUGE, full of grease and VM. But the staple length is really long, so if I can clean it, it will be a spinner's dream! My shearer thought the 3 Romney mix sheep hadn't been shorn in about 3 years. :hu

Oh speaking of washing machines, we got ours by trading two goats for it! :gig

CocoNUT

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
That's what I'm talking about! I've never had the sick empty enough to wash it in the sink...but I have done the bathtub. What a PAIN! It's fine, until you're trying to get the wool squeezed out...then you have water EVERHWHERE! Maybe that's my fault for doing an entire coat in one go....
Then I got smart, soak in the bathtub (get all the lanolin and major VM out), then transfer to spin out in the WM. But that got REALLY messy carrying the sopping wet wool (via hampers) to the WM.
I finally gave up and started and finished it in the WM. SO much easier. I've got an old WM I need to hook up to the water lines so I don't mess up the newer one.

* one caveat - alpaca fiber is MUCH more easily felted in the WM! Make sure to do SMALL batches in lengerie bags or some kind of containment! (I ruined a bit of GORGEOUS aplaca by not putting it in my lengerie bags!):th

Bridge....I'm SOOO Jealous! I'll bet that gorilla suit will wash up REALLY nicely! I need more wheel bobbins! You'll have to keep us updated on how gorgeous it is so I can DROOL and PLOT....you know...come out for the felting lessons for Southern and her DD and misplace one of the bag of wools and leave an angora bunny! ;)

Bridgemoof

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Haha Coco, yes I would love for all you gals to come visit for a felting lesson! And if a bag of wool disappeared I wouldn't notice it. ever. I WOULD notice a bunny though, lol!

Thanks for the tip on the alpaca fiber. I haven't washed any alpaca yet so I'm glad you told me that! I would have ruined it.

Gorilla suit
5910_img_9720.jpg

Now as for the gorilla suit, hmm, don't know if much is useable. Like I said, a big mess! But I pulled off a bunch and it weighs 3.3 pounds in the laundry basket. When it's done, it will probably weigh about 4 ounces.
Step 1: Fill the washing machine with hot water and fill the laundry basket. Place the wool in the washer and close the lid. Let it soak for about an hour. Do not agitate!
5910_img_9719.jpg

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
So if it is on the drain cycle you do not let it spin dry or you do let it spin dry?
I can see this is going to be like teaching a two year old :rolleyes: sorry bridge!
I am picturing me pulling out a wad of felt! :/

CocoNUT

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Spin out AFTER the hour-long soak!

You can use detergent - the best is dishwashing detergent - helps break down the lanolin/grease and dirt. But the soaking is important as that's when the dirt separates and sinks.

When you "spin" it 'dry'...the dirt and lanolin all are sucked out (generally). I've had some loads where I've had to do MULTIPLE soakings before the fiber is 'clean enough' for my preference. ("clean" depends on your use for the wool.)

*edited to add: the "spin dry" is why it's generally preferable to use an older WM - in the unlikely event that lanolin/dirt/VM builds up in the drainage of the WM.

Bridgemoof

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Yep just turn the knob so it is on SPIN, skip the wash and rinse cycles. After it spins, pull out the wool. I usually have to wipe out all the dirt and grease in the washer before I fill it up again. That's what I am going to do right now!

I'm curious to see what the real colors are in the "gorilla suit." It might actually be white!