Woolly Jumpers

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
A little pre-Christmas amusement.

Rams are known to jump to ewes in season, and can smell ewes for miles.....I think we have probably the most insistent ram I have ever borrowed.

I'd usually preface this by naming him and telling you all about his lamb days....but I don't know any of this as he belongs to a neighbouring sheep farmer (Farmed all his life and highly respected hereabouts for his knowledge on sheep).

This year (as most years) he loaned us a handsome chap, 3 years old, who he rated highly but was a bit too closely related to some of his ewes to use himself this year. On 20th October he went into our ladies. Wishing for lambing to be condensed, he came out on 3rd December, and, thanking him for his diligence, he went back home....placed in a field about 3/4 mile and several fields from us by the neighbour.

Next morning, and going to feed a little runty lamb who in a field next to the girls...."What is that?"....the Ram. It seems the neighbour had left the gate to his field open, so the Ram had walked out, past his farmhouse and workshop, down about 300 yards of road, up our long drive, jumped two fences and was just one fence away from his harem. So we herded him back into the trailer, back to neighbours, back into the field and the gate was shut. But Ram now knows the way.

Two days later.....he's back. Same procedure, but placed in a field well away.

All quiet for about a week..... then "What's that?"....sure enough back in the field with 'his' ladies and looking very proud of himself.

So the plan? Well, he's not going to do any harm and he clearly has decided where the grass is greenest (though, of course. it is not!), so he's now resident until his testosterone levels have died back/all ewes pregnant/he finds another bunch of ladies.

My ewes should be scanned in the New Year, and I'm hoping that his fertility matches his athleticism!

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
So, is Santa bringing you all new TALL fences for Christmas ?

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
So, is Santa bringing you all new TALL fences for Christmas ?
...They need to be VERY tall......he isn't impeded at all by the usual fences/hedges.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
That is funny! You had one idea but he clearly had other ideas from you. Gotta hand it to him for being able to figure out where the pretty ladies are! Got a picture of him?

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
Got a picture of him?

Here is the young man a short while ago

Flehmen.jpg

Caught here mid-Flehmen.

One of my rams climbs fencing. Too fat and short to jump, but somehow not too fat and klutzy to scale a fence.
....ha, ha.The lure of the ladies is too much for them, no matter if they don't look the part.

That lovely green in the photo above, persisting into November was replaced by this last week.

Snow (2).jpg

Well, that's all turned to sticky, thick, malodorous mud, but here's my dog, my non-working Border Collie with his snowballs...
Jaz with Snowballs.jpg

Looks kind of sheepish, doesn't he?

My faithful old camera (with over 13,000 pics to its name) died last week and I now have a fancy new one......so, once I've mastered it (could be quite a while)....I'll take lots of pics.....

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
What a handsome fella! He has just made himself welcome at your place. LOL From Green to white to mud. Sounds like crazy Texas weather.

wolf

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
:gigThey say - where there's a will, there's a way!

Latest posts