Working with a mini donkey

want less

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We were given a 4 yr old mini donkey gelding yesterday as a permanent companion for my retired mare. I have a lot of horse experience, but I've read (and I can already somewhat see) that donkeys learn and react to a lot of things differently.

This little guy is pretty calm and cool, doesn't worry about much, and will stand all day in front of someone willing to brush him. With that said, he's not been properly trained how to lead or have his feet handled much. He's obviously been a pasture pet with no formal training.

Anyone have any advice on good resources for me to look up pertaining to working with him? I'm confident with my horse training abilities, but I like to work with how they learn, and he's quite different. I want him to lead properly, pick up his feet and willingly allow them to be worked on, etc. Maybe after that we can work on fun things, maybe driving... who knows.

He's a pretty cool little guy so I want to give him the proper training he deserves. I also want to learn about keeping mini donkeys in general... such as keeping him at a healthy weight (grazing muzzle is on the way, he's quite overweight already) and things of that nature. Any suggestions are appreciated! :D

mully

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Just go slow with him...being gelded will make him easy to work with. Mimi donkeys can get fat real fast so watch the grain. Start by haltering and taking him for walks. Do not leave the halter on as it is best to get him used to the idea that halters are not to be afraid of. Being patient is the best advise because donkeys take time to earn their trust. There are a couple of good books about mini's so check on Amazon for a used one ...then you can buy two. Best of luck with him !!

want less

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
He's used to a halter & lead, but its more of a "follow the leader when I'm interested / tug-o-war when I'm not" ordeal. Not much in between. He's small, so not hard to get from point A to point B but I'm wanting him to do it willingly.

Any specific books I should look for?

michickenwrangler

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
They are very smart and yes they do react differently.

There are 2 mini donkeys at the stable I board at. The gelding is very friendly (mare isn't simply because she was abused as a 2 yr old) and has been taught to "fetch", bow, side-pass in hand and a handful of other tricks by a 9 yr old girl.

I have also noticed that they don't react to hand-waving as much as horses do. For instance, when the gelding was in with my mare, he would stand by the gate. When I waved my arm at him to get him to back off, he would just stand and stare at me. I would physically have to shove him away.

The trainer at the stable does work with gaited mules sometimes and she said the trick to training them is to let them think it's their idea. They have to want to do something, they can't be forced into it like a horse since they don't react to fear or force.

want less

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
michickenwrangler said:
They are very smart and yes they do react differently.

There are 2 mini donkeys at the stable I board at. The gelding is very friendly (mare isn't simply because she was abused as a 2 yr old) and has been taught to "fetch", bow, side-pass in hand and a handful of other tricks by a 9 yr old girl.

I have also noticed that they don't react to hand-waving as much as horses do. For instance, when the gelding was in with my mare, he would stand by the gate. When I waved my arm at him to get him to back off, he would just stand and stare at me. I would physically have to shove him away.

The trainer at the stable does work with gaited mules sometimes and she said the trick to training them is to let them think it's their idea. They have to want to do something, they can't be forced into it like a horse since they don't react to fear or force.
I've already noticed that same hand waving ordeal. And rope swinging... trying to get him to move out of an area by swinging my hands or a rope like I'd do to my horses was worthless! If nothing else I almost think it soothes him to sleep...

Good to know about the training tip. I've read in a couple places that it is best to treat-train them, meaning they will do something if they know they will get a "big" reward (cookie, back scratches, etc). I'm not sold on it yet simply for the reason that my horses & dogs dont require that, and I'm just assuming they can also learn without lavish coaxing. Am I wrong?

tiffanyh

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I agree that they can learn without that, but it may be the boost you need so he knows what you are asking of him, then wean it out.

My gelding (9 years) was horrible for his feet, my biggest problem that backed us up training wise is that I -not having horses prior- was letting hom get away with more than he should and he quickly became a brat. I nipped that in the bud and just made sure I stayed boss and he has turned around.

Although, sometimes if he doesnt want to go somewhere-even with a halter and lead- he doesnt, Strong guy. :th

mully

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
You can not use the same hand waving and rope smacking on a donkey as you do on a horse. They are very smart but a bit stubborn and it takes a lot of patients to get them to do what you want, Do not pull on donkey it is better to use a short lead (6ft) and when he holds his ground wrap the lead around his backside UNDER his tail now grab his halter and the lead and move straight in the direct you want to go. Tell him good boy and reward him. Donkeys go crazy for ginger snap cookies. After a little while he will let you lead him but may change his mind and stop... this is where the patients comes in. You MUST make this a fun experience for him or he will not want to go again. When you do this the next day he will probably act the same but just repeat this over and over and he will come around. Once he has learned this you can try other things.