Working with Moon again.

ButtonHerder

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My horse Moon cut her leg last June, I have a thread on here with pictures. I’ve only ridden her once since then (a week or so ago) and just done some lighter ground work and liberty. I’m going to start getting her back in shape, so I can hopefully ride her like I used to soon. I will start slow, because she’s (if her previous owner was right about age) 20ish. I’m just concerned about hurting her because of her sway back, and her feet, which I will post pictures of. I'm not very heavy, and she’s around 900 I think (since the last time we measured her. Looking for advice on if you think me riding will hurt her, or advice on getting her back in shape. Thanks!
ETA: I wasn’t doing any ground work or liberty while she was recovering, just recently.

Field Bee

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
My horse Moon cut her leg last June, I have a thread on here with pictures. I’ve only ridden her once since then (a week or so ago) and just done some lighter ground work and liberty. I’m going to start getting her back in shape, so I can hopefully ride her like I used to soon. I will start slow, because she’s (if her previous owner was right about age) 20ish. I’m just concerned about hurting her because of her sway back, and her feet, which I will post pictures of. I'm not very heavy, and she’s around 900 I think (since the last time we measured her. Looking for advice on if you think me riding will hurt her, or advice on getting her back in shape. Thanks!
ETA: I wasn’t doing any ground work or liberty while she was recovering, just recently.
When I was a kid, we had a sway back gelding because nobody wanted him. I can remember my mother cut a thick foam pad for under a light saddle and we would pleasure and trail ride him just fine. He was one of those horses that was gentle and had kind eyes. I think you could lunge Moon with her saddle on for a while and see how she does. As she tones up a bit and up her feed a little with wet beet shreds you can start light rides.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have no experience with a sway backed horse..

But I would first address the feet.

Personally I am a huge fan of ground work. Working on manners, general leading, and then round pen work. And only after all of that, do you start saddle work.

If you don't have a round pen, then a lunge line works fine.

But first the feet... you shouldn't do anything until the feet are fixed.

ButtonHerder

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
B61CC681-106E-46EB-B14A-457F69593883.jpeg

Latest posts