1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. BYH Featured Thread: I'm woolin' it!
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. 2017 BYC Calendar SUPER SALE!
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Working with Wool: Back at it

Discussion in 'Fibers' started by luvmypets, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Jun 13, 2017
    Bruce

Bruce True BYH Addict

Indeed it does! I bet spinning is a lot harder than it looks when you watch experienced people.

I watched some videos on all the steps necessary to get the fiber that was "retrieved" from the alpaca to the point of carding. More steps than I thought! Do you have a "tumbler" to help get the dirt and some debris out of the fleece? I found it quite informative to see that one must wash and rinse in HOT water (like the 120° that likely comes out of the water heater), NEVER go from hot water to cold and NEVER agitate (including letting water run through the fleece while filling the sink/tub/whatever you are washing/rinsing in) ... unless you want it to felt. Then have at it I guess ;) Of course I suspect if it "self felts" during the wash/rinse steps any debris that is in it will then be impossible to get out. At least with alpaca you don't need to use much soap since they don't have lanolin that needs to be scoured out.