Wormers….?

Vkp23

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
So, I’m paranoid when it comes to things like worms and I understand goats are some wormy little buggers. Plus I hear they can go down hill very fast over worms. So my plan is to every 1st of the month giving them a selenium supplement and a worming treatment. Plus having a set schedule will make it mega easier for me to remember to do these things. I’m having a heck of a time with my research finding a good wormer that I can give once a month to goats I plan to milk. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I’m not opposed to oral or injectable, but being I have 6 kids, 4 being much younger and wanting to pet the goats, I would prefer nothing pour on. Thank you very much!

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
So, I’m paranoid when it comes to things like worms and I understand goats are some wormy little buggers. Plus I hear they can go down hill very fast over worms. So my plan is to every 1st of the month giving them a selenium supplement and a worming treatment. Plus having a set schedule will make it mega easier for me to remember to do these things. I’m having a heck of a time with my research finding a good wormer that I can give once a month to goats I plan to milk. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I’m not opposed to oral or injectable, but being I have 6 kids, 4 being much younger and wanting to pet the goats, I would prefer nothing pour on. Thank you very much!
Good effective wormers have to be used only when needed. If you use them whenever/as a prevention then you create worms that are resistant to the wormers. Super worms that you can no longer easily kill.

To have healthy goats, buy healthy goats. (Truly... some goats are susceptible to worms, and are always wormy, others are pretty resistant).

Ask for the goats to be wormed before you pick them up to bring home, since then they will bring fewer worms to your place.

Every month when you give them their selenium paste, check them all over, and specifically note the color of gums or eyelids. If their gums or eyelids are pale, worm them. If their gums and eyelids are nice pink, then do NOT worm them.

This once a month full check is also a good time time to carefully check hooves.

As to WHAT wormer, I would HIGHLY recommend a single visit with a KNOWLEDGEABLE to goats vet. Ask the vet what worms are in your area, and what wormers are most likely to work on the local worms.

Write down what he tells you, and what he says you need to watch for, as well as dosages etc.

What the vet will tell you varies tremendously across the country.

Worming color guide.

FAMACHAR-anaemia-guide.png

Vkp23

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Good effective wormers have to be used only when needed. If you use them whenever/as a prevention then you create worms that are resistant to the wormers. Super worms that you can no longer easily kill.

To have healthy goats, buy healthy goats. (Truly... some goats are susceptible to worms, and are always wormy, others are pretty resistant).

Ask for the goats to be wormed before you pick them up to bring home, since then they will bring fewer worms to your place.

Every month when you give them their selenium paste, check them all over, and specifically note the color of gums or eyelids. If their gums or eyelids are pale, worm them. If their gums and eyelids are nice pink, then do NOT worm them.

This once a month full check is also a good time time to carefully check hooves.

As to WHAT wormer, I would HIGHLY recommend a single visit with a KNOWLEDGEABLE to goats vet. Ask the vet what worms are in your area, and what wormers are most likely to work on the local worms.

Write down what he tells you, and what he says you need to watch for, as well as dosages etc.

What the vet will tell you varies tremendously across the country.

Worming color guide.

View attachment 87502
Thank you! Saved the image for later use!