Worming lambs and moms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Southdown

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
What do you all do for worming new lambs and their mothers? I'm under the impression that the lambs must be a minimum of 25 pounds to be wormed. Is this correct? Because on the labels, the minimum weight listed is 25lbs. I think last year I waited until he was 25lbs. I gave Valbazen last year in the Spring and Ivermectin in the Fall. Also, I was wondering about worming the mothers because the lambs are still nursing and I am concerned about how much is passed via the breast milk to the lamb. If so, would that not increase the dosage the lambs are getting and make the dosages inaccurate? I wouldn't want to overdose the lambs.

Cornish Heritage

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I can't answer this question as we do not worm our St. Croix. I suspect it all depends on the breed of sheep that you have so hopefully someone else will be able to help you.

Liz

Four Winds Ranch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I usually worm my sheep about a month before the ewes lamb, and then in the fall about a month before breeding.
I am sorry, I don't worm my lambs, only the ones I am planning to keep, when I do the whole herd in the fall.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
You don't need to worry about overdose via milk excretion if you deworm a nursing animal.

Here's an article that may help you understand deworming (for goats and sheep): http://www.backyardherds.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2607-parasite-mgmt

I can't speak toward lambs with certainty but with goats if they need dewormed we do it no matter what their weight. We use the same dewormers that are available for sheep in goats. You just need to do the math to figure out a dosage for smaller animals. Heck my goats are close to 6 months before they even hit 25#!

kfacres

Reaction score
we use three dewomers- valbazen, cydectin, and ivomec... each does it's own specific thing- and some are for using in preg animals-- and some for rams as to not effect fertility.

I deworm my ewes in the fall- when they come up from pasture. this gets them cleaned out- before spreading the worms and eggs throughout the shed- keeps it cleaner for newborn lambs.

I deworm my ewes when I wean and kick out to pasture. this helps clean them out before dirtying my grass.

I deworm my lambs every 30-45 days throughout their life, starting at weaning-- which is when my lambs will weigh 40-70 pounds (40-60 days of age)-- until atleast fall.

You cannot over dose dewormer-- I give 2x the label dose on every administer, and sometimes 3x the dose. sometimes I do this 3 days in a row if I suspect a problem.

it is proven that in most cases- to be effective- you must atleast double the dose.

in most cases-- sheep won't need dewormed unless exposed hardcore.

Royd Wood

Reaction score
kfacres said:
we use three dewomers- valbazen, cydectin, and ivomec... each does it's own specific thing- and some are for using in preg animals-- and some for rams as to not effect fertility.

I deworm my ewes in the fall- when they come up from pasture. this gets them cleaned out- before spreading the worms and eggs throughout the shed- keeps it cleaner for newborn lambs.

I deworm my ewes when I wean and kick out to pasture. this helps clean them out before dirtying my grass.

I deworm my lambs every 30-45 days throughout their life, starting at weaning-- which is when my lambs will weigh 40-70 pounds (40-60 days of age)-- until atleast fall.

You cannot over dose dewormer-- I give 2x the label dose on every administer, and sometimes 3x the dose. sometimes I do this 3 days in a row if I suspect a problem.

it is proven that in most cases- to be effective- you must atleast double the dose.

WOW with the greatest respect thats large amounts - I have a flock of Romney and use nothing ever. I would try to encourage folks out there to use the minimum or none

kfacres

Reaction score
Royd Wood said:
kfacres said:

WOW with the greatest respect thats large amounts - I have a flock of Romney and use nothing ever. I would try to encourage folks out there to use the minimum or none
If I am going to invest grain into my sheep, and hope for maximun growth/ gain-- I intend for every nutrient to be absorbed by the sheep- not the worms.

I deworm my bigger than normal, show sheep-- not nearly as much as most of my counterparts.

What do your ewes weigh mature- 100? Mine are over 200.

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
I hate to sound like a broken record...but as I've mentioned before, we have hair sheep...Dorper/Kat cross who have a natural resistance unless that gets screwed up with regular chemical worming and they lose that trait. We use the barrier garlic, apple cider vinegar to drench them monthly as a preventive. Always check the colour below their eyes for pinkness or paleness and it is working great. Hair sheep farmers in this area think this is not enough and treat regularly with cydectin whether they need it or not.

Never worry about giving them this...full dose for adults, half dose for lambs...it can't hurt them nor cause abortions in the pregnant ewes. Of course I add molasses to the mixture, probiotics and some liquid vitamin B and A.

Royd Wood

Reaction score
kfacres said:
Royd Wood said:
kfacres said:

If I am going to invest grain into my sheep, and hope for maximun growth/ gain-- I intend for every nutrient to be absorbed by the sheep- not the worms.

I deworm my bigger than normal, show sheep-- not nearly as much as most of my counterparts.

What do your ewes weigh mature- 100? Mine are over 200.
:lol: are you bragging by any chance - Why on earth would I want a 200lb Romney ewe, 120 is my biggest which is more than enough and thats with strictly no grain and no injections, just good old grass and hay. If your methods work for you then I'm pleased its just some members on here who are new to sheep need to be wary about your orig post mentioning - at least a double dose and every 30 to 45 days - even you must agree that is very intense worming program.

Royd Wood

Reaction score
bonbean01 said:
I hate to sound like a broken record...but as I've mentioned before, we have hair sheep...Dorper/Kat cross who have a natural resistance unless that gets screwed up with regular chemical worming and they lose that trait. We use the barrier garlic, apple cider vinegar to drench them monthly as a preventive. Always check the colour below their eyes for pinkness or paleness and it is working great. Hair sheep farmers in this area think this is not enough and treat regularly with cydectin whether they need it or not.

Never worry about giving them this...full dose for adults, half dose for lambs...it can't hurt them nor cause abortions in the pregnant ewes. Of course I add molasses to the mixture, probiotics and some liquid vitamin B and A.
Keep playin that tune bon :thumbsup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts