Worming product from TSC, what to use?

Remuda1

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
elevan said:
The "white dewormer" that can cause problems is Valbzen. Main problems are in bred animals as it can cause abortions.

Cydectin / moxidectin causes no such issues.
X2

feed grass

Reaction score
elevan said:
The "white dewormer" that can cause problems is Valbzen. Main problems are in bred animals as it can cause abortions.

cydectin is not a white dewormer.. it's either purple or clear...

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
feed grass said:
elevan said:

I did not say that it was. Not once.

The OP had decided upon Cydectin when you brought up white dewormers.

feed grass

Reaction score
elevan said:
feed grass said:
elevan said:

I did not say that it was. Not once.

The OP had decided upon Cydectin when you brought up white dewormers.
non the OP asked about dewormers that caused sterility-- I responded that her only concern needs to lie with white dewormers... logically response in my eyes.

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
feed grass said:
to sheep girl, in her original response... Why do you think that is--- the reason is that injectable are the most used dewomring method... for example.. orally-- only 50% of the dewormer is utilzied, whereas injection-- 90% of it is used... so, would you rather just throw half your money out the window, or 10% of it?
We have always used oral dewormers (though we haven't needed to deworm anybody in over three years...then again there were just 8-9 sheep on 20 acres while my neighbor was downsizing to move) and all the web sites and books I read always recommend oral dewormers, rather than injectables (not to mention oral dewormers are more readily available than injectable dewormers).

Injectable dewormers are more concentrated, which means if you overdose an injectable dewormer, there is more of it being absorbed by the body, causing much more of an issue than an oral dewormer. Which is also part of the reason why we used oral dewormers--we don't have a scale to weigh the sheep so it is impossible to know their actual weight. So we'd have to guess.

I'm not trying to be rude, but what makes you think injectable dewormers are the most used method of deworming? Based on what I've read and my experiences in talking to other sheep producers, it all seems to point that they use & recommend oral dewormers.

redtailgal

Reaction score
Secuono.......how far from VA beach are you?

I have some Cydectin here, AND my sister *MAY* be passing through today or tomorrow. IF she does, I could send some of my cydectin with her and you could pick it up in VA beach.

If this doesnt work out, put a post in the BUY/SELL/TRADE letting folks know that you are looking for it. There may be others with small herd that would like to buy a bottle and split the cost with others.

kfacres

Reaction score
SheepGirl said:
feed grass said:
to sheep girl, in her original response... Why do you think that is--- the reason is that injectable are the most used dewomring method... for example.. orally-- only 50% of the dewormer is utilzied, whereas injection-- 90% of it is used... so, would you rather just throw half your money out the window, or 10% of it?
We have always used oral dewormers (though we haven't needed to deworm anybody in over three years...then again there were just 8-9 sheep on 20 acres while my neighbor was downsizing to move) and all the web sites and books I read always recommend oral dewormers, rather than injectables (not to mention oral dewormers are more readily available than injectable dewormers).

Injectable dewormers are more concentrated, which means if you overdose an injectable dewormer, there is more of it being absorbed by the body, causing much more of an issue than an oral dewormer. Which is also part of the reason why we used oral dewormers--we don't have a scale to weigh the sheep so it is impossible to know their actual weight. So we'd have to guess.

I'm not trying to be rude, but what makes you think injectable dewormers are the most used method of deworming? Based on what I've read and my experiences in talking to other sheep producers, it all seems to point that they use & recommend oral dewormers.
most 'used' by the body-- not most 'used' by producers-- I would guess..

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
kfacres said:
SheepGirl said:
feed grass said:

most 'used' by the body-- not most 'used' by producers-- I would guess..
That would make sense in that context, rather than the way I took it.