Worming product from TSC, what to use?

redtailgal

Reaction score
Do you know any cattle farmers? I buy the big bottle, the goats and cattle share it.

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
secuono said:
I'm finding Cydectin in $80 liter, only 3 sheep, not gonna work...
Also, one is a ram and I read somewhere that some make them sterile...
Here's 1 L for $65. (It is out of stock until the 30th though.)
Here's 1 L for about $67.

That's about half a penny per pound of body weight, which is less than $1/sheep. If you can't buy it, see if you can find another sheep producer or a vet you can buy a couple doses from.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
There really isn't a smaller bottle or other wormer that can be used?
No, we don't know the people we live near, they aren't friendly and we don't want to have our heads bitten off by their grumpiness...
I mean, we can hear the cows, even see some herds, but I have no idea which house goes to what animals...lol.

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
Secuono, do you have any friends with herds that would go in with you? We have a small herd and our neighbour does too and we went half and half on the large jug of garlic barrier because of the cost and small number of animals we both have. Might be something to check out with others in your area for Cydectin.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Quest horse dewormer paste has moxidectin in it which is the main ingredient for Cydectin.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
elevan said:
Quest horse dewormer paste has moxidectin in it which is the main ingredient for Cydectin.
Thanks!

And no, I'm the only farmer in the family, from the city, so all friends are city folk.
Does the liquid need to be refrigerated? If not, anyone willing to ship me a share?

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sorry I posted while you were too...so my post is not very helpful :(

Guess we are very blessed for the super great neighbours and local friends we have here...in any emergency with anyone's sheep, goats, cattle or horses we all feel to call or be called for help day or night. Wish you had the same thing where you are.

Those are the lowest prices I've seen Sheepgirl...here the smallest jug of that stuff starts more than double that amount.

feed grass

Reaction score
white dewormers can cause temp sterileness in rams, and preg problems in ewes if given during a certain time of preg-- but with that said, you need to make sure each sheep gets one dose of a white dewormer-- atleast once a year. right now is a great time to give rams white wormers-- as most are not fertile anyways during the heat.

colored and clear- will not cause any problems.

go to a vet and buy just the doses you need, or you can order online ( I prefer valley vet), in smaller containers.. of course the smaller you get- the more expensive it will be per cost--- but if it takes you 10 years to use a bottle-- then you have to weigh the benefits...

This last time, we bought a 3 gallon jug of ivomec-- with only 40 ewes, and only one dose of ivomec a year-- it's going to take awhile to use it-- but it's the cheapest way to go.

Around here, we use Ivomec, valbazen, and cydectin-- depending on our needs and goals...

to sheep girl, in her original response... Why do you think that is--- the reason is that injectable are the most used dewomring method... for example.. orally-- only 50% of the dewormer is utilzied, whereas injection-- 90% of it is used... so, would you rather just throw half your money out the window, or 10% of it?

It's also extremely hard to over dose dewormers.. i regularly give my sheep up to 3x the dose on the bottle, and IMO giving less than 2x the dose, is a waste of money...

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
I do not plan to deworm yearly. Before I deworm any, I was going to catch each and check their eye lids again. Whomever has pale lids, I'd give them the wormer. These sheep, breed wise, should be naturally more resistant. So I don't want to worm the ones that show no signs at all.

None will be breeding until Fall, since they are seasonal breeders. Would that still affect the ewes if I give them it now?

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
The "white dewormer" that can cause problems is Valbzen. Main problems are in bred animals as it can cause abortions.

Cydectin / moxidectin causes no such issues.