WORMING

Iwantgoats

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I was considering buying a centrifuge to do my goat worming, (per my vet). As I have looked around I see most goat people do their own worming test without one. Are these other methods as accurate? I think if they were not you wouldn't be doing them. Thought I would ask anyway. THANKS! Oh...that equipment is very expensive:(

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Centrifuge is the best way. i believe cost of the centrifuge is the deterrent why people who do their own fecals don't use it.

carolinagirl

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Check your State's used and surplus equipment auctions and sales. Most states do have them from time to time. I got my centrifuge for $10. The cord was cut off which meant that either the centrifuge was damaged or the cord was bad. Turns out it was just the cord. I put a new one on and it works great! Ebay is another good place to look for used centrifuges. Now I just need to figure out the procedure for doing my own fecals.

treeclimber233

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I thought a microscope was all you needed for determining worm infestation????

autumnprairie

Owned by the Rotten Heifers
Reaction score
treeclimber233 said:
I thought a microscope was all you needed for determining worm infestation????
you do, a centrifuge spins the fecal matter solution so the worm eggs float to the top you can also spin blood to testing that way also

ShadyAcres

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I was a vet tech for several years. We never used a centrifuge but my old boss now retired preferred to do it this way. The instructions below are very similar to how we did it though we used a purchased solution. The following solution recipe can be refrigerated but I have no idea how long it lasts. I have a good microscope at home and mix a little water with a some stool - just enough to make a thin smear -right on top of the slide for a direct test. This is not accurate if you need to do a fecal count but helps to determine what type of parasites you have and if it is a large or small load.

Procedure
1. One to three grams of feces is thoroughly mixed with flotation solution (saturated sugar/water) and strained into a tube. One gram is a sphere about the size of a penny (two fecal pellets). The quantity of flotation solution depends on the size of the tubes; mix with slightly less than the tube volume. Saturated sugar is prepared by dissolving a pound of sugar in 12oz (1 1/2 cups) of water, and saturated salt takes a pound of salt in 38.5 oz (4 4/5 cups) of water.
2. Fill the tube completely with flotation fluid, then place a coverslip (or slide) across the top of the tube. The fluid should be brought up so that it is in contact with the coverslip. This transfers the eggs and oocysts to the coverslip.
3. The tube is left standing for 15 minutes or longer. Then the cover slip is removed by lifting it straight up and placing it on a slide. The slide is examined under the microscope (40X-100 magnification) for eggs and oocysts.

http://www.hawaii.edu/ansc/Old/Proceed/Hhl/peggs.htm