Worming

WolfeMomma

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Worming pregnant sheep.....educated me lol I have Valbalzen can that be used? They are due around the end of feb. I know your not supposed to use it near the beginning of the pregnancy, but now that they are father along is it ok?
I just want to make sure I am not going to hurt the lamb or anything.

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sheep need to be wormed 5-6 weeks before lambing as their immunity to worms drops off a lot. The body of the ewe is programmed to accept 'foreign material' around the time of delivery as she has to fail to react to foetal cells form the lamb crossing the placenta from about 6 weeks before delivery. This reduced immunity is so that she does not reject the unborn lamb which has different genetic material from her. A side issue of this 'relative anergy' to foreign material is that immunity to parasites also markedly diminishes.

Check with your veterinarian or the data sheet of the proposed wormer for guidance as to which wormer to use. Many are safe to use at this time, though a few are not.

Good luck with the lambing.

kuwaiti-90

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
@WolfeMomma

I did not notice any harm from the worm medication on pregnant ewes. I was given Ivermectin by injection under the skin according to the instructions of the medicine and I did not find any harm from it.
Pendazole is not used for pregnant ewes, either capsules or oral administration.
A week ago I was given a dose for all the sheep and goats I have and there are no cases affected ( Ivermectin ).
at the end . I recommend veterinary recommendations on this.
Good luck with the lambing.