Worms! Help!

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am so sorry if I am repeating this question but I'm a newbie here, and newbie to this, sort of! I have a 14 week old buckling who I just had a vet run a fecal on and they said he has stomach worm and tapeworm. Does anyone know what dewormer will treat these? I have to admit I was, until recently, under the mistaken impression that you just grab a dewormer and give it every so often. Eek I know! Can someone direct me to where I could find this information?

Also I will be moving him to a new pasture tomorrow, but do I need to keep my dogs and pigs (the pigs we move to new pasture frequently) away? Can they "catch" these worms from his droppings? I have a terrible poop eating dog at my house

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would use Safeguard for the tape and stomach worms. They make a Safeguard for goats but dose it at 4x what is on the label and I think you need to do if for 4 or 5 days. @Southern by choice...help me out here on dose. I'm OLD and forgetful. Also can other animals get these worms from her goat ???

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks! I read on fias co farms site that there is a resistance to safeguard. Is that regional?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
The tapes goats get are different than those of tapes that dogs get.

Many people say "Safeguard doesn't work" or the one I hate the most.. "Safe for the goat- Safe for the worms" :somad

There may be resistance but usually it isn't resistance.

It is-
1) failure to get proper weight on the animal

2) failure to understand the 3 different classes of anthelmintics and HOW they work

3) Improper dosage

4) Not giving a complete course that must be followed when using Safeguard

Safeguard is still very effective. Most people who swear it doesn't work and then actually learn and use it properly find great results!
Vets have different protocol and you may get a range of answers as far as dosage from different vets. You should consult with your vet. Keep in mind the one for goats still has the basic dosing instructions for cattle- it really isn't a goat dosage. Goats have higher metabolism.

Average worm load should be 3 day treatment. High worm load 5 days (consecutively).

Out of our vets 2 like one dosage 1 likes another...
We have found the 2 that agree is the best for us although we have used lower, for tapes we go to the higher end of 1ml/10lbs.

I am not a vet, and strongly recommend you work with your vet.

sadieml

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I'm not sure about med dosages, but I do know that the worms can be transmitted via the feces and can even remain in the ground for a long time just waiting to infect another animal.:confused:

P.S.- I would definitely go with OFA and Southern on dosages. They are experienced goaties who don't dispense advice without being sure of what they say. Also, since you have a vet, do include him among your advisors. He will appreciate the fact that you seek his advice.

edited to add post script

Last edited:

GLENMAR

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I was told by my vet to use 1cc per 20 lbs three days in a row.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I don't totally have a vet, I just had one do a fecal for me because I was concerned my buckling might have worms. I am not impressed with this particular vet, it was simply the closest livestock vet to me. Still searching for one I trust. But in the meantime I will ask for his advice and weigh it against what I've seen here nonetheless.

Thanks Southern by choice, that's very helpful I have a lot to learn! Glad there's so many people here to help!