Wormy goats.....and fecal exams

no nonsense

Corralled
Reaction score
kstaven said:
People far to often take those toxic lists as gospel without further researching the realities of the individual plants.
Agreed. People also far too often rely on word of mouth, speculation, something posted on the internet, or simply pipe dreams and fairy tales, instead of proven, researched facts.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
I can't imagine one could find too many researched and proven facts regarding natural vermifuges, as there is no money to be had by doing this. In place of hard scientific facts, a person can do their own research and experimentation, like Free here, to see what is effective with their animals.

Before there were agribiz/pharm companies paying for studies, there were normal farmers doing their own backyard labs. Not proven according to scientific methods, but this is not necessarily a measure of effectiveness.

dhansen

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My goats LIVE in my walnut orchard. If any part of black or English walnuts are truly toxic if eaten in large quantities, my goats should be dead. I do still worm twice a year, but I have never done a fecal either.

chandasue

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Sweet Cheeks said:
Any recommendations on scope brands, where to purchase, web sites to view, or books to purchase? Thank you for your help.
Shameless plug... my DH sells microscopes online at professionalmicroscopes.com :D

I haven't done a fecal yet but plan to in the next month. Thanks for all the info, Freemotion!

Edit: Fecal update. We did our first fecal exam today. Worm count=10. We've been using the regular herbal wormer formula (not the wormwood formula) once per week since November. But it is the dead of winter here so we'll see what spring brings!