worried mama -- bleeding non-horn -- is this normal?

farmergal

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
This morning I noticed that one of my Nigi doeling's "disbuds" (what do you call a non-horn?) was looking sort of raw and reddish. Then tonight, it was bleeding. I cleaned it up and applied some polysporin, but I am wondering if this means that the disbudding wasn't successful. Or is this a normal part of the healing process? This "disbud" also looks slightly convex, whereas the other one (which still has the scabby/scar part on) is slightly concave. Has anyone had experience with this? This is my first goat and I really don't know what to look for, or what a successful healing process looks like. To make matters worse I am going away this weekend to a wedding and a friend will be goat-sitting... I want to make sure this is taken care of and my baby is okay before I leave!

A bit more info: Ginger was born on May 20, disbudded by the breeder on the 29th, and I brought her home on the 30th. She's been on the bottle and is otherwise healthy -- normal poo, growing by leaps and bounds, and always climbing on my babydoll southdown ram (who seems to enjoy it)...

Any help is appreciated!!

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
Sounds like she's getting ready to loose a 'scull cap' (lol that's what I call them). When you disbud, you kill the horn bud, and later a portion of the scull (a growth plate). The bud is removed (pops off at the time of burning) but the growth plate beneath is left to slough off the scull at a later date.

It is not uncommon for there to be some bleeding when the 'scull cap' or scab starts to come away from the scull. It is somewhat nipple shaped. Once it falls away, there will be smooth scull beneath, and the skin will finally start to close over the burning.

When I have one that bleeds, I prefer to use an aerosol spray, like Furall, to coat it. Even if you do nothing, it should be fine!

farmergal

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks for the help! Phew, I feel a lot better... I was worried that I'd left something sharp/dangerous in her pen... no idea what it might have been, but I'm new to this so I figured it had to be my fault!

norcal

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Both of our little guys are doing this. Yuck!

What is Furall, like a bactine? ??