Worried..

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ugh, so frustrated I even have to write this. Yesterday morning when my brother went to the barn to let the animals out he found the sheep stall open and grain missing. Last evening I went to the barn and noticed the sheep would not come in the barn. They were just standing there staring out into space. I noticed they looked a bit bloated, but they are all fat so I didn't think much of it(until I learned they had gotten into the grain). They have no interest in food and still won't come in tonight. Im scared because I don't know what to do. They nibbled on hay/grass a bit, I saw the fattest ewe drinking, and I believe all were peeing/pooping but they are just off. They are still shy and will run away if you get too close to them. Is this just something I need to wait out or can I help them?

I feel bad as they used to be my passion but when the pigs got serious I kind of just let them be. I still love them and don't want to see them in pain.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh dear! I know that too much feed can be a problem and cause issues but I don’t know what to do to treat sheep. I’d trying calling the vet. I’ll also tag some of our resident sheeples that may be of assistance. I hope everything turns out well.

@Sheepshape @Ridgetop @secuono @Mike CHS @Baymule @misfitmorgan

(I’m forgetting several but these were my first thoughts.)

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
How much feed and how many sheep? Small, medium or large breed of sheep, adults or lambs?

Baking soda should help with bloat and should be available free choice to them 24/7.

Do you have a sheep vet to consult?
Six sheep, medium size, Im unsure how much grain. I have seen severe bloat in the past, had my favorite ewe die in my arms. They honestly just seem uncomfortable, its gotten a bit better since yesterday

How do you feed the baking soda?

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
I forgot to add we have several large animal vets we could call, they have all worked with ruminants. All the sheep are adults as well.

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'd dissolve some baking soda in water....quite concentrated, and administer it via the drench gun.....if you don't have one, then a large syringe. It usually makes them belch even more than usual and the belly gradually reduces in size.

Keep them well away from any supplements, but supply plenty of water. Good luck and fingers crossed....usually they do fine.

Don't beat yourself up....it happens to all of us. One of my Leicester ladies , Rosie, greediest sheep on the planet, managed to get out of her lambing pen (my fault, gate not properly shut) and help herself to ewe nuts, lots of ewe nuts. After sitting, quiet and bloated for a few hours......explosive diarrhoea.....a pool about 2 feet across with a horrible, semi fermented smell.Then 'stuff squirted for several feet all over her pen. A good dose of baking soda and a silage only day and she is back fitter and greedier than ever.

Here's Rosie and her babies.

Rosie and her babies.jpg

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I just got this, have been gone several days. I hope the sheep are ok. If this happens again, give them the baking soda as instructed. Or keep some out for them, especially as the grass greens up, they will eat it as they want or need it.

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
My dad got the sheep in Saturday night. He says one still has labored breathing but other than that they are ok. I did manage to catch three of them and give them the baking soda drench. I also put some out for them but they werent interested.

Latest posts