Would anyone have any links to pics for ectoparasites

miss_thenorth

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I found some bugs around my cow's anus, and I can't seem to find any pictures to help me identify them, so I know how to treat them.

They are tiny little red things.

miss_thenorth

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
They might be mites. I just checked her fecal with my microscope. All is good there, with a very low count. My dd is out there scraping some off her butt, and onto a slide, and I am going to look at them under the microscope. I can tell they are red, and her skin looks like dandruff. She has no hair loss, actually looks really good other than the bugs on her butt. Actually, dd says they are everywhere.I looked at her eyelids, and they are pale, so I know they are bloodsuckers. i dosed her with ivermec, but then got to thinking, that might not do it.

Thanks for the link, I had found that one before, but don't think it has what I am looking for on it.

Any ideas? Or pics of mites, as I can't find any. I did look at some under the microscope, but can't really identify them w/o pics to compare them to. they are definitely a parasite. I might just have to buy a parasitology book.

miss_thenorth

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
113_p10602561.jpg

113_p10602501.jpg

These were the bugs we found on her(dd's camera is amazing!!) They appear to be the cattle sucking lice.

Would I have to give her some more ivermec in about three weeks? Bedding has been changed.

Or just dust her with dri kill or something?

tx

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
If she were mine, I'd give her another dose of ivomec, or another systemic parasiticide, possibly Dectomax, which lasts for up to 42 days. This would also give some protection from internal parasites when you turn her out on grass. Hopefully, grass time is not all that far away now.

Latest posts