Would moving an indoor rabbit to an outdoor pasture cause diet issues?

HoneyDreameMomma

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We have an indoor Californian rabbit that we would like to transition outdoors. He currently eats a diet of pellets, timothy hay and about one to one and a half cups of veggies a day. We would keep him on all of that, but the setup we'd be putting him in would also give him 24/7 access to grass, clover and possibly some weeds. Would we need to do anything special during the transition to avoid causing him any digestive issues?

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
You would want to slowly introduce the grass, clover and what ever else new you plan to feed him. Is it possible to put him out for little stretches of time, gradually increasing the time he has access to it. You would have to watch and make sure it doesn't cause stomach upset for him.

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
To reduce issues transitioning I always give steam rolled oats ;) I transition mine to mostly pasture in summer months and it helps ease their systems into it. French lops have a horribly touchy digestive system I have found and I have had no major upsets while using steam rolled oats. I even use them when babies are starting to eat pellets and hay as well as while they are weaning and going to new homes.

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
To reduce issues transitioning I always give steam rolled oats ;) I transition mine to mostly pasture in summer months and it helps ease their systems into it. French lops have a horribly touchy digestive system I have found and I have had no major upsets while using steam rolled oats. I even use them when babies are starting to eat pellets and hay as well as while they are weaning and going to new homes.

so how much per feeding do you give of the steamed rolled oats?

samssimonsays

Reaction score
so how much per feeding do you give of the steamed rolled oats?
I would suggest giving a generous handful depending on the rabbit. Mine are about 12-15 pounds each so they eat free fed. I now will mix a very large horse grain scooper full of steam rolled oats x4 per 50# bag of feed in my feed bin. Through kindling times I mix 1 of those scoops of calf manna in as well as 2 scoops of BOSS. Winter they get 4 scoops oats, 4 scoops BOSS and 2 scoops calf manna to help keep weight. Mine are big butts and will lose their fat quickly.

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
yeah, you have a bigger rabbit breed. We have both Californian and French Angora- 1 of FA bucks is about 1 to 1.5 pounds under idea weight and of course he is my DS(10 years) buddy but the lack of idea weight doesn't do well when showing- this rabbit gets free choice pellets with the following mixed in BOSS, goat sweet feed, and quaker old fashioned oats plus a mix of hay/alfalfa. I have to weigh him again to see if he gained any. DH and I figure this buck is small boned.

samssimonsays

Reaction score
I would try some calf manna as well, but you are right, he may just be smaller boned... IF you breed him? Breed him to a very big girl and it should produce bigger bones. I have some smaller boned french as well and have managed to counter that with a nice big buck. It is hard when you get attached to one... sigh especially when they are not exactly up to par for what you want. what percentage protein is his feed?

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
We did breed him to our only girl at the time and the litter came out nice- we keep 1 doe from that breeding. They get 17% wool formula. His picture is my avatar.

samssimonsays

Reaction score
That is great. If he is a good breeder and producing nice kits then I wouldn't worry. keep beefing him up and he may eventually get there but he may not. With my french if they havent hit sr weight by 8 months they usually don't make it to sr weight. usually just 1- half a pound under if they are under.

He is stinking adorable by the way :love