Would nubians work for me?

porkchop48

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
As stated before the plans are to get 2 goats.

Due to looks alone I am leaning towards nubians. Their spot will be roughly an acre fenced in with shelter and a pond, lots of brush and browse to eat ( as well as what I feed them)

We are not really looking for meat goats more along the lines of milk/chees/butter.

Is there a better suggestion on breed type?

I would like to get 2 does and breed them once a year is that would be possible as well.

M.R. Lops

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Nubians are good dairy goats. We had a buck and doe along with our boers for a while. We never drank the milk, so I don't know how that is, but Nubians are usually really friendly. I also absolutely love their colorings! Nubians are probably my favorite goat breed.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
I LOVE Nubian milk. Togg and Ob milk taste different to me so we usually use that to cook with, but I drink Nub milk all day.

Nubians can be LOUD. There are some quiet / polite ones, but there are some who just scream for screaming's sake. Any goat will be more vocal when moved, weaned, after kidding, when they want milked, etc....but Nubians take it to a whole other level.

They're very friendly, cute, easy to handle...but quiet they ain't. :D

SuburbanFarmChic

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I second LOVING Nub milk. My old doe's milk tastes like melted ice cream. Yummy!! They do have a whole nother level of drama that comes with them though.

Mossy Stone Farm

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
ohhh BOY can they be loud.... I have had my Nubains for a few yrs, but this yr was my frist yr to bred 2 yearlings..
When Nora and Tia gave birth and i pulled the babies OMG all He** broke loose. :th Things are starting to settle down now Nora is almost 2 weeks fresh but she screamed from morning to dusk, for a solid week... Tia followed her Now they have settled down some..

But the milk is awesome, sweet and tasty.... and they produce alot of it... I love those girls,:love but the last two weeks have been a real test of my nerves!!!!:weee

Our7Wonders

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I have nubians and just LOVE most everything about them - except how loud they can be. I have close neighbors so I'm in the midst of changing breeds just because of that. I have a screamer doe and had a screamer buckling. He was sold yesterday. And the family we sold him to knows he's loud and are totally ok with that. They're likely to buy Ariel from me next month when I'm done needing her milk for the bottle fed babies.

I just bought four oberhasli babies a couple weeks ago - the farm I bought them from had over 100 goats and all of them COMBINED were quiter than my nubian doe or the buckling on their own. I'm really hoping I like their milk - my goats are our sole milk source. At this point I plan to keep my other doe and her doeling since they are much better mannered. The two of them can be loud too, but only at understandable times - like feeding and such.

So all that to say, if you don't have close neighbors I say go for nubians - I truely do love them and their milk. If you need quite goats I'd consider oberhaslis or lamanchas.

greenfamilyfarms

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
We have 2 Nubians and I actually love how vocal they are - especially when they see people. They holler LOUDLY then come running. Super friendly!

However, my Alpine/LaMancha has the biggest mouth of all.

SDGsoap&dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Roll farms said:
I LOVE Nubian milk. Togg and Ob milk taste different to me so we usually use that to cook with, but I drink Nub milk all day.

Nubians can be LOUD. There are some quiet / polite ones, but there are some who just scream for screaming's sake. Any goat will be more vocal when moved, weaned, after kidding, when they want milked, etc....but Nubians take it to a whole other level.

They're very friendly, cute, easy to handle...but quiet they ain't. :D
x 2. Wonderful goats, unless quiet is important to you. :)

Julie_A

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I had a la mancha once who was extremely quiet. How does LM milk compare to Nubian milk as far as taste is concerned?

M.R. Lops

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We had a Nubian buck and doe for a while along with our Boer herd and they were never loud, not anymore than the rest of our goats. We have a couple Boers that are hollerers. Both of our Nubians were extremely friendly, but they can be jumpers. Our Nubian buck was the king of jumping fences, yet he was the most sweetest buck ever. Both of his daughters (one was nubian and boer mix the other who was recently born is saanen and nubian mix) are like reindeers.