1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Guess the build... - Discussion thread.
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Would you be worried?

Discussion in 'Diseases & Injuries - Goats' started by Green Acres Farm, May 31, 2017.

1. May 31, 2017
    Green Acres Farm

Green Acres Farm True BYH Addict

I have a ~7-8 month old doe who has a small path of fur that is thin on her back. She is in pretty good condition and acting fine otherwise. I noticed it a couple of weeks ago.

If it itches, I have not noticed her noticing it. No signs of lice that I have seen. The skin under it appears normal to me.

Would you be worried? I am going to our vet tomorrow for another goat and can ask about it, but would prefer not to take her if not needed. :rolleyes:

IMG_9461_kindlephoto-676220150.jpg
    The white goat in this pic was not disbudded by us BTW. ;)

IMG_9462_kindlephoto-676178387.jpg IMG_9469.jpg IMG_9466.jpg

Thank you!

2. May 31, 2017
    Southern by choice

Southern by choice Herd Master Golden Herd Member

No, I wouldn't be but if you are have her checked.

I wonder if she was rubbing under something or if there was underneath a scab from a scratch or something and the hair is growing in ... it looks like a patch of a different color and now that winter coat is gone and no fluff you can see it better.

Her coat looks real glossy and pretty.

mysunwolf and Green Acres Farm like this.
  3. May 31, 2017
    ragdollcatlady

ragdollcatlady True BYH Addict

My fat nigerian babies get a smooth spot right there from slipping (or literally squishing!) through the cattle panel fence that hasn't bothered to change the size of its openings for them despite the fact the goats have grown... I would suspect something similar is happening with your kid. Maybe it rubs on the top of a hiding spot, branch, bench....???

Green Acres Farm likes this.
  4. Jun 1, 2017
    Green Acres Farm

Green Acres Farm True BYH Addict

I completely forgot to ask the vet. :\ It was a different vet than I usually see and I didn't think of it. I'll keep an eye on her, though.

We're having some respiratory issues with a couple of kids that we're getting worked out.