Would you buy a goat who is Neg, but is in a herd with a few Pos CAE?

AkTomboy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I am getting ND goats this year, we have been planning for two or so years to add them to the crew here. It will be my kiddos first "big boy" 4-H project in my club. So far he has just done his chickens and horses.

A person is selling a few of her herd there are two who are Neg but they do live with a few that are Pos.... so what would you goat ppl do?

lilhill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Positive for what? CAE, CL???? What all have they been tested for?

AkTomboy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
In Sept they got the full work up by the local Vet up here, I am looking at a prego Doe and a wether who are both Neg, but they are in a herd with 2 CAE POS.

Everything I have ever read says that adults all but dont get it, if you have a doe with it you can take her colostrum and heat treat it and bottle feed the kids in the hopes they dont get it.

This will be our first goats, so I figured I would ask seasoned goat people what they thought of it.

Thanks all

AlaskanShepherdess

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Just my personal opinion, I wouldn't. Just because I want to be able to sell any future kids to people who may consider that a reason to not buy, and also because I don't want the risk of that disease coming on my property even though it is manageable. Plus I intend to drink my milk and I don't plan to bottle raise my kids.

()relics

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
If I were you and there was any other option, I would find some healthy Negative animals to start your herd. Why start with something you already know could work into a problem? Build your herd from healthy negative stock and you will be VERY happy you did down the road with your new healthy negative kids. Rather than always on the look-out for a positive test result from something that you are sure is actually clean...Edited to remove uncalled for content

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
I would. It's pretty hard for an adult to get CAE from another goat. You can always pull the kids and bottle them if you're still worried about it. I have a CAE+ doe and I was still able to sell the kids as raised on CAE prevention. Besides, CAE isn't as big of a deal as everyone makes it out to be (IMO).

lilhill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
()relics said:
If I were you and there was any other option, I would find some healthy Negative animals to start your herd. Why start with something you already know could work into a problem? Build your herd from healthy negative stock and you will be VERY happy you did down the road with your new healthy negative kids. Rather than always on the look-out for a positive test result from something that you are sure is actually clean...Edited to remove uncalled for content.
:thumbsup

BetterHensandGardens

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I wouldn't take the chance - too many possible long range consequences if one would turn out positive. I don't want to bottle raise the kids and as owners, I think it's our responsibility and in our best interest to make sure we're not helping spread disease in any way. If one turned up positive would you still allow any of them to be used for 4H and possibly spread disease further.......?

mully

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
In a word...NO With all the goats that are for sale why take a chance?

AkTomboy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
The problem is that here in Alaska finding a herd that is a total NEG for CAE is super hard, I have been looking for ND for almost two years and every one who I have talked to except for one who is not selling has a Pos in the herd somewhere.

So its either get a goat who is NEG from a herd with a POS or fly kids up. I have had dogs, birds, horses and snakes fly up here so I am sure they can do goats, but I am guessing they will have to be weaned b4 flying, and they will be looking at anywhere from 12-18 hrs of travel time once they are dropped off at he airport....

The two I am looking at have tested NEG in Sept.

From what I have read its a white blood cell transfer is how they catch it, so nursing babies is the number one way to catch it, you can heat treat and bottle feed the kids. Also it is all but a no go on adults catching it in everything I have read and talking to my local vet. I agree on not wanting to spread anything to others sooo what to do?

I have not said if I will buy these or not thats why Im asking for yalls thoughts. Thanks again for the help.