Would you ever eat a horse?

Back to Nature

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I don't know if I would. Also, a good horse would be worth more to me alive than on the table. But if a horse dies anyways from old age, would you be able to eat it if cooked in a way to tenderize it?
I'm not saying I would do it. I'm just trying to find ways to dispose of a dead animal other than throwing it away or whatever.

D1

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I would try it I guess I have ate worse Im sure

ThreeBoysChicks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
This is most likely going to be a very sensitive subject. In some countries horse meat is very much a norm. Just like it other countries it is very popular to eat goat, yet in the United States, eating goat meat is not that popular. I think it is everyone's personal preference.

Back to Nature

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Straw Hat Kikos, I think you posted the wrong link? I got the same one you sent me earlier for titles. lol If that's the one you meant, can you explain what answers to look for?

Also, where do people like the government draw the line? I have no religious aversions to any animal, but I could never bring myself to eat a dog or cat, even if it died naturally. And if someone shot a dog for meat, the local population would freak out. But if a cow was shot for meat, people would be like, whatever. So where is the line?

This is a sensitive topic, yes. But if I won't eat a horse, i have to dispose of it somehow. So how?

Straw Hat Kikos

The Kiko Cowboy
Reaction score
Sorry. I fixed it.

To me, there is no line. All animals are food imo and I would have no issue eating them. would it be weird in some cases? I'm sure it would but animals are not human like most people these days feel they are. And if you do eat an animal, any animal, you must treat it humanly throughout it's whole life including slaughter. As long as one does that then I'm good with it and see nothing wrong.

Back to Nature

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I agree and don't view any animal as human, but I just couldn't eat a dog or cat. But I can understand why people would.

True, as long as it was killed as quickly and humanely as possible, and received good care while alive, then why not...

Four Winds Ranch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have eaten horse before, and it isn't bad once you get past the fact that it is a horse! The meat is very fine, and is almost sweet, if you know what I mean! On the whole, it is good, and has no bad tastes what so ever!!

Back to Nature

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Well, maybe I'll try it sometime. :/ I'll just pretend it's not a horse until I try it.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
It's definitely cultural in this country as to why we do not eat horses.

Very long history of horses being a working animal and a sign of wealth, not a food source. The settlers who had nothing walked out west pulling their hand carts. If you were a little better off you had a nag/or oxen.

If you were very well off you had nice of team of horses.

If you ate your horse, you had pretty much hit rock bottom.

Not saying anything wrong with eating them, I know other cultures do.

I think in this country we've never looked at them as food.

Another poster said that it actually tastes good. Some people eat monkey brains and say they taste good. I personally do not want to eat either.