Would you take the goats, or sell?

sawfish99

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My wife and I started with goats last year. We have been very aggressive at buying quality stock for our herd, and now have 9 does and 2 bucks (Lamancha and Oberhasli). The complication is, I am active duty Navy. We were hoping to stay in CT until I retire in 2019, but it is starting to look like I will have to move next spring/early summer. One option might be moving to VA. If that happens, we will keep our herd of goats and move them with us, because it would be a day drive to get there. But, WA state is another, very real possibility.

Right now our farm includes goats, rabbits, chickens, and 4 horses. The horses absolutely move with us, regardless of the location/distance (we have moved them cross country before). The chickens and rabbits all get sold prior to a move. All of the coops, cages, feeders, etc get sold and rebuild after the move.

But the goats are the tough choice. On the one hand, moving goats to WA, on a 6 day drive cross country with 3 kids, 1 dog, 2 cats, 4 horses, and 11 goats.....
On the other hand, I would have bucks and blood lines completely different from everyone else in the area.

If moving 3000 miles, what would you do? Sell the whole herd and rebuild? Take them, no matter how painful?

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
I think I would take them with me. We are very attached to ours and finding them, keeping them healthy, training them is more of an investment of our time and money than our chickens which I would sell.

marlowmanor

Reaction score
If you have the transportation available to take the goats too I would do it. We will, hopefully, moving within the next year and we plan to take the goats with us. But then we only have 3 goats right now too.

Hickoryneck

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
If I was you I would take the goats if you can't take all 11 cut back to the very best/favorites and move them.

If you move to Va which part? I am in Va & love it here :love. I raise Alpines and a few grades, Oberhaslis are really rare here My sister used to raise and show them I ended up with her original doe who passed away this spring at the age of 16 years 7 months old she was a great goat and is really missed by my son who adored her

sawfish99

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
VA would be in the Norfolk area. If we can find a farm to lease, all the goats would move to VA.

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'm going to add my two cents here. I live outside of Missoula within a 150 miles of the Washington border. Goats in Washington are EXPENSIVE. I mean, maybe you're used to paying the prices, but I'm not. You can expect to pay $250 for a bottle baby and more than $300 for an adult. I've never seen registered goats go for less.

If you're looking for registered, quality goats, bring your goats with you. That being said, you can probably pick up some nice goats for $100-$200 near Spokane, but they're probably not tested for CAE or anything like that. Here in Missoula, I've bought my unregistered LaManchas for $100 a doe and $50 for the buck. (Tested CAE free). My Nigerian mix was "bought" for 4 chickens.:idunno

Most people here are going to tell you to bring your goats. I'm of the opinion that mammals move with me. Even so, 3000 miles is not easy. Still, think of all the odd photos you'll have with goats at the rest stops. :lol: :gig

Good luck!

Fluffygal

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Take them with you.

All that hard work and time in getting the right herd with the lines you desire alone makes it worth the effort to take them. Not to mention any members of the herd that you are most attached to.

I agree that if you are already taking all the horses why not make room in the trip for the goats?

sawfish99

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We have a 28' 4 horse trailer. By the time you load 4 horses, hay, grain, and tack, that trailer will be absolutely loaded. Therefore, if the goats make the big trip, we would have to find a second trailer to tow behind our second vehicle (currently a minivan).

Right now I'm hoping for VA. While I love WA, I will lose a fortune with the equipment that wouldn't make the trip (tractor and implements).

GLENMAR

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Virginia is not that far. Hope you make it down here.