Would you take this buck?

Mini-M Ranch

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
(Long, sorry!)

One of the breeders where I got my mini-nubian girls took in a mini-nubian buck from a friend of hers who could no longer afford to keep her goats. He was not really a rescue, as he is in fine condition. She sent me an email asking me if I wanted him. No charge. She already had all her breedings planned out of who she would breed to whom until 2012, so that she will have F7s and F8s by that time. This boy is an F2. She does not want to use him because it would be breeding backwards in the generations because her other two bucks are F4 and F5. BUT, Drifter (appropriately enough) keeps jumping her fence, trying to get himself a girlfriend.

She is offering him to me for free because I don't have a buck, and she needs to get him out of her hair. Here, he would be our only buck, and all but one of our girls is big enough to breed, and she will be big enough probably in December, so if we could wait until the end of Nov to get him, I think all the girls would be fine for breeding. She claims that the only reason he jumps his fence is to jump the girls' fence. She also said that he did not jump the fence at all before he came into rut.

We had not intended on keeping a buck here because our space is small and we have a neighbor close on one side who might not appreciate the aroma...BUT, mini-nubian bucks are HARD to find and they are EXPENSIVE. And it would save us from having to drag our girls on 4.5 hour trips for a drive-by which may or may not take. We did not understand how hard it would be to get the girls bred when we decided to get mini-nubians. (I wanted nigis, dear husband the mini-nubians :tongue on him)

We have .75 usable acres of pasture, and we already have 4 girls. We have fencing left over from the girl's pen, and could probably scrounge some wood for a buck house, but that would still have a goat boy in rut within half an acre or so of my house.

We met him before, and he is a sweet heart and has beautiful blue eyes (I have a blue eyed doe, so that would be good). SO, if you were in my situation, what would you do?

Here is Drifter taken this summer sometimes. He now has a beard and a nice layer of crust....hahaha

768_drifter_1.jpg

broke down ranch

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I'm surprised you haven't brought him home already...

Seriously, the only thing you throw in there as an obstacle is he will be sorta close to your house. When you consider all the other benefits, that is really just a small glitch to live with....

kimmyh

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I would take him, and I would put a hot wire on top of his pen.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
It won't ELIMINATE the smell, but (as long as it's warm enough) you trim him up (at least the beard), it will cut wayyy back on the stench...nothing to hold the icky smell...
I'd already have him home, jes sayin'.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Get him now! You may as well get a buck. It really is hard to find farms that will allow you to use their bucks when they are a clean farm.

trestlecreek

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Yep, if you want him, I'd get him. Just make sure you are prepared to hear him(they are generally loud when in heat), smell him(not so bad really) and are prepared to confine him.
I would put his pasture area in a location so that he does not have a long fence-run proximity to the does. You can create a fence barrier so that he can see the does, but they can not rub the fence down to get to them(sniff butts, rub their faces on their butts and they head butt and try to lunge through the fence to try to get through it..
You will need a very strong/tall fence to keep him in.

Eliza

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
HATE to be a party pooper BUT how close are the neighbors again? If most of us are annoyed by continously barking dogs, is a noisy goat in rut going to cause the same effect and strain the relationship with the neighbors??? Just something to consider....

twister

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
i would get him... he is adorable!