• Keep him and find her a new man

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other:

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

jhoeck

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have an almost year-old Nubian doeling. And a buckling born March 28.
We would like to breed them together and were planning on waiting until next year so he could have a chance to grow more and just find a different buck for her this season. But we are now moving across the country before next breeding season so I was hoping to breed with him and sell him afterwards...

I was thinking August-October depending on when she is in standing heat.
He will be 5-8 months old at that time.
Thoughts?

Donna R. Raybon

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
If being fed properly you breed doe at 7 months or at least 80#. I have settled does with buck as young as four months and certainly at six months. Biggest issue is young, short buck being able to reach taller, older doe.

jhoeck

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
If being fed properly you breed doe at 7 months or at least 80#. I have settled does with buck as young as four months and certainly at six months. Biggest issue is young, short buck being able to reach taller, older doe.
Yes she is 80 now so no problem there
And that's what I was leaning towards...he is a good size already as well

Thank you for your input!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I doubt he will have any problems whatsoever. In fact, you might consider a chastity belt for her to ensure he doesn't get her on her first heat cycle, which could be as early as late July... Good luck with the move! Hope you'll let us know how it all turns out for you and the goats!

jhoeck

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I doubt he will have any problems whatsoever. In fact, you might consider a chastity belt for her to ensure he doesn't get her on her first heat cycle, which could be as early as late July... Good luck with the move! Hope you'll let us know how it all turns out for you and the goats!
Thank you for your reply!
I didn't know it could be that early-good to know
Fortunately they share separate pens so it won't happen for a while yet : )

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Maybe
Maybe Not
@Southern by choice
@Goat Whisperer
Wasn't your Nubian buckling Olaf un-interested at that age and you had to use another buck on Ruby last year?

He was quite interested but was not successful so yes, we used another buck.

Our Nubian buck was doing all the right "motions" but not actually breeding the doe... kind of like "touching the outside". We ended up using a Woest-Hoeve buck - he was the same age as ours. Got the job done in one.
The mini Nubian buck we had also was not successful in his first season, whereas his brother was.

You never know.

We have had 4 month old bucks settle does and yet we have had some bucks as late bloomers that couldn't settle in their first year.
It is not always a health, nutritional or even fertility issue. Some simply are late bloomers or "slow" breeders.

jhoeck

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thank you all for your replies!

Yes, Mini Horses, if I wasn't ready that's when they'd make it happen : )
But I've been thinking that he may not have what it takes. I agree that it probably depends on the individual and he isn't small, especially when compared to his brother (a wether now) but isn't that "advanced" either. He hasn't yet been interested or inspired much interest from our doeling (our other doe is his mother, so she hasn't shown interest either.)

We got this buck (the dark one pictured below) who is only a little older but is much bigger and taller!
He's separate from the girls but they can see him and have been acting quite excited, which I think is a good sign.
We will probably breed him to both the girls this fall.
I think he and our spotted doeling (the lighter one pictured) will make pretty baby goats!

So I am actually thinking of keeping our little buckling and waiting for next year before seeing what he can do. My husband wants to anyways and how can you argue with MORE goats??
Also, his dad was a moonspotted buck so he should carry that. And if we have a moonspotted doeling out of this year, that couold be his match. Then we could have even MORE moonspots before too long!!

Thanks again for all your input!

Attachments

• IMG_7682.jpg
    IMG_7682.jpg
    497.9 KB · Views: 320
  • IMG_7318.jpg
    IMG_7318.jpg
    495.5 KB · Views: 316