WVDuckchick's BYC Pond

Ravyn

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'm in northern California. I've been keeping humidity around 40 percent. I usually do closer to 70 for lockdown just because I'm in and out. Weve had really temperamental weather lately. 60 degrees one day and 90 the next. Been having trouble keeping even temps and humidity. Normally I'm way better at being on top of things. These all had detached air cells so instead of turning I tilted them in an egg carton as suggested by the person I purchased them from. The air cells always stayed big though. Thats why I didn't realize it had drawn down yet until i saw it had internally pipped. All my calls ended up needing help. Not sure if it was from bad incubating, bad shipping or just because they can be difficult to hatch.

Ah, sorry... can't keep everyone straight with the switchover and all...

Even going in and out, etc, I don't jack my humidity... 65% is about as high as I personally like...

From experience, I have had more disasterous results from tilting shipped duck eggs instead of laying them down, especially Calls... even with really messed up air cells...

All you can do is your best, remember these were never meant to go through the PO machines before the bator... ;)

Jenniferlamar70

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Ah, sorry... can't keep everyone straight with the switchover and all...

Even going in and out, etc, I don't jack my humidity... 65% is about as high as I personally like...

From experience, I have had more disasterous results from tilting shipped duck eggs instead of laying them down, especially Calls... even with really messed up air cells...

All you can do is your best, remember these were never meant to go through the PO machines before the bator... ;)
I did the tilting for about a week and the air cells did firm up so put the eggs under my broody silkie. I candles them a week later and all had passed.. I don't know why. They were doing great in the incubator. Thats how I ended up with only one. At that point I was to afraid to lay them down. Now I'm regretting that decision. These were my first detached air cells. I've had saddle shaped before and still got good hatches. Hoping this baby hatches through all this. Its the only one that made it to hatch.

Ravyn

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I did the tilting for about a week and the air cells did firm up so put the eggs under my broody silkie. I candles them a week later and all had passed.. I don't know why. They were doing great in the incubator. Thats how I ended up with only one. At that point I was to afraid to lay them down. Now I'm regretting that decision. These were my first detached air cells. I've had saddle shaped before and still got good hatches. Hoping this baby hatches through all this. Its the only one that made it to hatch.

:fl

If they were completely detached air cells, then you're lucky to have the one make it... those are notorious for quitting before 'lockdown' time...

Ravyn

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I so don't know who you are talking about :(

Don't worry, Chris, you aren't missing much... when one decides to rip off good BYCers just because they can, that's more than beyond crossing the line...

CTKen

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Don't worry, Chris, you aren't missing much... when one decides to rip off good BYCers just because they can, that's more than beyond crossing the line...
Okay dokey -thanks

Jenniferlamar70

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
:fl

If they were completely detached air cells, then you're lucky to have the one make it... those are notorious for quitting before 'lockdown' time...
In that case it makes me feel a little better. I felt like a total failure.. Praying this one finishes hatch. In no external pip by morning about ( 35 hours ) should I make an external pip or just leave it? I don't want to help to early but don't want to come in to late either.

Pyxis

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Brooder full of bantams (and one cull AC) :love

acSn1uRxlnsNhSVT2IH_9MJpSHQYQK53jCSJeVsCUq_ecdbxGhDHUyovA02wFRBedwBtAVg0ROUAWKoOQlGWbPywoVGolnCO7YVe4Vz59ExLrJxqJd0RCR8jWUuCUIsn8ncYoeZI_wWeaNasIAsxv-4xIuTbai5lWm5fxB5h9jPiX7P4-MU3CNkUhqrbwvwCpF040HVrJkVSr-rhMBZI3kJXXxXjtPHW5DeonOBpwtW6oV96ff6sxqYJdlj0hPSH-0KGjJij4lrHlODn6AHmNdQ5OxnoC8RJTiilFiUApIXIkyKvkxYzxz6zSDIMpL54M5xD4U-UN3lidB5Y4BnyukPzPArXb7LcPHTEOLV3074E1K64vao8pZTW4y4AIcesEbJNfIguZucVHxtd3wSzEdNAjQv64hHfblEP5X4TgbYfNL4v14ooYEYN73qbtrH__dLGTSaAYoIZBo1j8kshVGMLNOjFHNqhMEzK6rQmUCxowD-q5-lSPf8xifUhEpzaLKjnLaSXBImbNgosnDCfOwPerEuWjmKB4YJpXOkhpNCLboh8EQbKmET3_EulxM9IxhJyQ5l3Dk-3hugx91cmNstuNYZRp_4GmFdyVpOLXk9HQdDgQdst=w1177-h663-no

Ol Grey Mare

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
:ep
In that case it makes me feel a little better. I felt like a total failure.. Praying this one finishes hatch. In no external pip by morning about ( 35 hours ) should I make an external pip or just leave it? I don't want to help to early but don't want to come in to late either.
:fl - sending good hatching vibes your way.
Brooder full of bantams (and one cull AC) :love

acSn1uRxlnsNhSVT2IH_9MJpSHQYQK53jCSJeVsCUq_ecdbxGhDHUyovA02wFRBedwBtAVg0ROUAWKoOQlGWbPywoVGolnCO7YVe4Vz59ExLrJxqJd0RCR8jWUuCUIsn8ncYoeZI_wWeaNasIAsxv-4xIuTbai5lWm5fxB5h9jPiX7P4-MU3CNkUhqrbwvwCpF040HVrJkVSr-rhMBZI3kJXXxXjtPHW5DeonOBpwtW6oV96ff6sxqYJdlj0hPSH-0KGjJij4lrHlODn6AHmNdQ5OxnoC8RJTiilFiUApIXIkyKvkxYzxz6zSDIMpL54M5xD4U-UN3lidB5Y4BnyukPzPArXb7LcPHTEOLV3074E1K64vao8pZTW4y4AIcesEbJNfIguZucVHxtd3wSzEdNAjQv64hHfblEP5X4TgbYfNL4v14ooYEYN73qbtrH__dLGTSaAYoIZBo1j8kshVGMLNOjFHNqhMEzK6rQmUCxowD-q5-lSPf8xifUhEpzaLKjnLaSXBImbNgosnDCfOwPerEuWjmKB4YJpXOkhpNCLboh8EQbKmET3_EulxM9IxhJyQ5l3Dk-3hugx91cmNstuNYZRp_4GmFdyVpOLXk9HQdDgQdst=w1177-h663-no

:love - it just doesn't get much cuter! I got to see my grand-chicks for the first time tonight while skyping with my DD -- turns out the poultry obsession is genetic.

Ravyn

Loving the herd life
Reaction score

You can open it up then... just lube the membrane and check veins, etc... as long as you don't tear open the inner membrane or pull it out of the shell, it shouldn't hurt...