Xerocles rabbit thread

Xerocles

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I like titles that are "catchy" but I can tell already that this is gonna be a long, exciting (for me at least) adventure. So I thought I'd make the title simple and easy to remember.
IT HAS STARTED!
Any of you who know me, remember I've been saying for weeks and weeks that my goal for having my rabbitry ready to receive rabbits is mid-December. Today is December 10, 2019, and I consider it GOAL MET! Technically, not quite. Still need to connect a few pieces of chain to the grow-out cages and would have that done if I hadn't forgot to pick up chain while running errands today. Tomorrow, probably. Even though it means an extra trip to town.
Pictures to follow. Just want to have those chains on before I show. Oh, there is a sneak preview under the thread "why didn't you guys warn me" if you just HAVE to see pictures now.
Anyway. Preview of coming attractions. Pictures, of course. I actually have rabbits already. It's Tuesday. I got them Sunday. Swore I wasnt going to name them, but two have already been named....kinda named themselves. Going from hell to heaven. Breeding through the wire? Stewed rabbit, anyone? Guess I won't have rabbit poop for the garden after all.
Stay tuned. See you tomorrow.

Xerocles

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Well, well. It's been a whole month since I came here. Winter kinda got me. I've been in a holding pattern. Lets catch up.
Cruella is cuddles now. Not quite "please pick me up and pet me" cuddles, but so far from the attack rabbit she was when I got her that she deserved a new name.
Honey Bunny is pregs again. Hopefully she'll get it right this time and no more squished babies.
I have two new additions. Drove to NC and picked them up today. Champagne d'Argents. My dream rabbits. He is 10 weeks and she is 8 weeks. So, they'll be pets, spoiled and pampered for about 4 months until they get breeding age.
His mama is a grand champion. And her daddy is a grand champion. They're prouder of their ancestry than I am of mine.
For those who don't know Champagnes, they are born black and shed to a beautiful silver. These guys are in transition.
20200218_185828.jpg
20200218_192111.jpg

Xerocles

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
@thistlebloom here ya go. And remember, in the right setting, a good photographer can make even a poor model look good. And I chose the most photogenic one.
Can you say "Waiter, there's a hare in my stew?"

20200411_144157.jpg
20200411_144139.jpg
20200411_144132.jpg

@animalmom. Suggestion taken. 2 moved today, 2 Monday, and 3 about Wednesday.

Duckfarmerpa1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I'm trying to learn here. When you say "bad teeth", could you elaborate a bit on that? What was going on with the teeth?
Bad teeth means they don’t line up for the short version. Rabbits teeth constantly grow. They need to line up otherw they will get an abscess. We have been raising rabbits a long time. My buck came to me with an abscess but didn’t realize it..just thought he was great looker. We spent a ton on surgery. Because we invested so much, we didn’t want to cull him. His kits never had that issue, luckily..but his issues have never quit. I’ve not giving up! I have spent sooo much money on rabbit vet bills though. We have an expanded farm now and, unfortunately..my hubby will not allow me to spend that sort of money on my sick ducks..which I much prefer. We do not have an avian vet close...but...anyway..this is where you need to pick and choose who you you what to invest the money on.
also with those water bottles..I realize you are in SC and the climate is a heck of a lot better than NW PA..but, once they freeze..you’re done...I mean...it’s a pa in the waahoo. So, I have elected to get the large dog bowls..the kind that won’t tip..and not the chinsey plastic type. The heavy duty round plastic. You’ll end to bang them when they freeze and they will break if they are the thin plastic..trust me. They will tip if they are thinner at the base..trust me. So get the sturdy kind that can handle a good bang. My rabbits..32, New Zealands And California are in my barn, above my ducks...don’t worry there is great ventilation..but it’s much warmer and it still freezes. Rabbits do much better in the cold than heat so don’t worry about them. But they do love a good bunny box to jump on...maybe that’s down the road...mine are quite spoiled.
Im so sorry for interrupting the thread, but I did want to let that important question get missed. I can’t wait to keep reading! Congratulations on your new bunny family! Warning you..we thought we would eat them..we have eaten four. I mostly give them away.

oh, also..very important..read, read, read up on GI stasis and buy baby gas reliever now. It is a silent killer and comes on in a day, with no warning..caused by stress..a loud noise even. Rabbits are more fragile than you think.. I have lost 21 rabbits this way before I knew how to treat it. Now I have a care kit, etc. if you ever have questions..keep my avatar at hand..I know how to tube feed, how to sub q fluids, etc...it takes work. I don’t mean to scare you. But rabbit owners should have an emergency kit on hand...like most animal farmers do for every animal type.

once again..congratulations and I can’t wait to read more!
9E8721A5-A411-4001-9B81-6F7A06C67E35.jpeg
F688BDF1-A07F-480D-A51A-A0E8ED67001F.jpeg
9177A82C-FC1C-41BC-B530-82200C2549AE.jpeg
F38B0364-D992-4722-85EF-5B3AF588741A.jpeg
D1402CD0-24D2-4012-A3F1-CF287D705C7F.jpeg
68C67270-0E7D-420E-A4E9-0605039CEE6F.jpeg
113CEB68-EB1A-4B6A-80E7-42339B55FF46.jpeg
F7DCB26C-E84C-4A34-B7AB-22405ABB6094.jpeg
C6B1C9C4-7E78-44E9-A5EC-3B780155B9F7.jpeg
0BF8CD4D-2071-42EF-B3B4-252A10BA5AA2.jpeg

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Cruella may need bred...some mellow when bred, but keep your hand high and watch her. Some are very territorial. They seem to born that way and not much you can do to change them. I have a couple...they respect and get thumped if they jump at me...they all are sweet as can be when bred. I don't tolerate nasty bucks...they tend to be less predictable. And since my kids help feed and show the rabbits... not going to tolerate much. One territorial doe is a homebred mini rex who got a BOB for my daughter out of about 35 rabbits. She and I have worked out things for the most part, kids know not to mess with her too much. She's a sweetie when bred... :hu

Xerocles

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
She had 5. 4 clustered in the back with no hay, only a piece of cardboard to cover them. One nestled up front in a little spot of hay. I built a nest hole of some really soft grass hay and put all five into it. Right now all wiggling and squirming, so we'll see how it goes.
Females! Guess she figured she wasn't gonna mess up her pretty red and white fur coat by pulling fur out!
20200112_084027.jpg

What I found. Notice one in lower right.
20200112_084152.jpg
20200112_084311.jpg

Snuggled in new hay.

Xerocles

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My poor confused bunny! Today is Wednesday. She kindled Sat night/Sunday morning. No fur pulled. None. Now this morning there was a good sized clump of fur (about 1 handful) in the nestbox, but on the other end from the kits. I moved it to cover the kits. But not sure a handful of fur, three days after birth is very significant. Well, maybe she is learning for next time. Luckily the weather has been really mild.

Xerocles

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I see the trip went well! They are sooo cute!! Congrats!! Any names yet? So they will be totally silver? I didn’t know you had ‘dream’ rabbits....is the 8year old little girl coming out of you? :lol:
Names? The buck is BB (buck B). As, in my official paperwork, the Cali buck is BA. Names (like Salvadore) are nicknames acquired by the individual animals themselves. Not enough time for that yet. Thus the doe is DC.
I often ACT like an 8 yr old (so I am told) and it's "the thing" for us guys to get in touch with our "feminine" side......so yes, I suppose the 8yr old girl IS coming out in me. :D =D But, Champagnes have the traits I want in meat rabbits-terminal weight, grow-out rate, meat to bone ratio, etc., and unlike MOST "purebreds" near me, these have been bred selectively, with strict culling, to have repeatable genetic characteristics. Plus, yes, I do find their color to be more aesthetically pleasing (yes, by adulthood they are totally silver)than most meat rabbit breeds. AND they are somewhat difficult to find. Thus the "dream". Kinda like your mini pigs. Before I found these (2 hours away) the closest I could find (through the ARBA) were in Jersey...a two DAY trip. Lucky for me, this guy "retired" from Jersey (he's been raising this breed since the 1950s) to escape that self- same weather you're enjoying.

Latest posts