Xerocles rabbit thread

Xerocles

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My poor confused bunny! Today is Wednesday. She kindled Sat night/Sunday morning. No fur pulled. None. Now this morning there was a good sized clump of fur (about 1 handful) in the nestbox, but on the other end from the kits. I moved it to cover the kits. But not sure a handful of fur, three days after birth is very significant. Well, maybe she is learning for next time. Luckily the weather has been really mild.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Isn't this her first litter? Next time may be more text book. Sounds like she's on chapter 4 now...….why didn't she get to read it last month??? :lol:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Nothing days can be good days too. We go from work, up early, run hard all day at warp speed, home at night, trying to shut our brain down so we can sleep, to AALLLLLLL day with whatever we want or don't want to do. It gives you that precious time to look in a nest box and smile at fat round tummies, warm snug little bunnies in their nest. Isn't life grand?

Xerocles

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Well, the kits are dead. All 5. They were 5 days old. Last night the temp got down to 33f. Mama never pulled any fur to speak of, but they were in several inches of hay, nice & dry. But for some reason, they always stayed in the front part of the box, and not in the covered back. I suspect that with the temps dropping, Mama stayed in the box, and suffocated or smashed them.
I am right now taking advice I heard on here. They're in my bathroom, with the space heater turned up. They're not dead til they're WARM and dead. But I don't hold out any hope. I did catch them before rigor had set in.
But, this was my (and the doe's) training litter. We'll do better next time.
Thanks for following along and for the advice and support.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
My poor confused bunny! Today is Wednesday. She kindled Sat night/Sunday morning. No fur pulled. None. Now this morning there was a good sized clump of fur (about 1 handful) in the nestbox, but on the other end from the kits. I moved it to cover the kits. But not sure a handful of fur, three days after birth is very significant. Well, maybe she is learning for next time. Luckily the weather has been really mild.
Pictures please:)

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, the kits are dead. All 5. They were 5 days old. Last night the temp got down to 33f. Mama never pulled any fur to speak of, but they were in several inches of hay, nice & dry. But for some reason, they always stayed in the front part of the box, and not in the covered back. I suspect that with the temps dropping, Mama stayed in the box, and suffocated or smashed them.
I am right now taking advice I heard on here. They're in my bathroom, with the space heater turned up. They're not dead til they're WARM and dead. But I don't hold out any hope. I did catch them before rigor had set in.
But, this was my (and the doe's) training litter. We'll do better next time.
Thanks for following along and for the advice and support.
Oh my goodness. That’s sad. That’s how I found the kits I lost this week too I’m sorry dear

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hey there...haven heard from you...how are you? Seems like you’re taking this kind of rough. I’m really sorry. I know how hard it is. The first time we got sick kits I nursed them and tried everything...sometimes...we just can’t fix it. I’m sorry. :(

Xerocles

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hey there...haven heard from you...how are you? Seems like you’re taking this kind of rough. I’m really sorry. I know how hard it is. The first time we got sick kits I nursed them and tried everything...sometimes...we just can’t fix it. I’m sorry. :(
Not taking it too hard. Yeah, disappointed, but I just take a different tac than a lot of ppl on here. They were animals that were going to die in 8-10 wks anyway. Life sucks sometimes, but that's life.
At least there was no worry or fretting over them. Last night they were fine. This morning they were gone. Oh, I tried the warm them up thing, but from the way they were flattened, it was obvious Mama squished them.
Thanks for your thoughts and concern. I haven't been online all day cause I had to go out of town to rescue a friend from an abusive boyfriend.

Latest posts