Xerocles rabbit thread

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes those are great pictures..we have even more simple ones...by now we’ve made them all dimensions, with lips, etc...but...I know you spent a ton of money on the wire...however..it won’t hold up to weather...and..she needs shelter for the kits..plus the moms jump on top as a way to protect...View attachment 68819
i was just showing you some ideas of what we have found works...but, the kits are absolutely adorable that’s all that really matters...how’s momma being with you being in there? and the rest of the bunnies?

Xerocles

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
i was just showing you some ideas of what we have found works...but, the kits are absolutely adorable that’s all that really matters...how’s momma being with you being in there? and the rest of the bunnies?
She's as nervous as a cat in a room of rocking chairs. All over the cage when I get within 20 ft.
Learning new stuff. Mom only goes in nest 2X a day. WRONG. I caught her in there 4 times today.
4 of the kits wiggled to the front of the nest box, twice. After that, I left them there. Hope Mama doesn't squish them getting in and out. One stayed in the back....so just before dark I pulled him into the others, for warmth and nursing.
At least she didn't take the hay out this time. She emptied it 2X before the kits. Never pulled ANY fur.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, looks they, and you had an adventurus day....now—-did you take notes? This key for the next tine times you do this won’t rem. Writer down how r she kindred after outing in the big, writer down that she ripped up the cardboard..that she pulled no fur. I give her some BOSS, jus a bit each day as a treat...wgphen she earns a reward with her kits...etc. I write their daily habits, because it’s differen each time ...you need to record this so rem it for the future. Living traditions. Homesteading has it on utube...a bookkeeper to coptand write the same info yourself.

but, keep track off of everything...because with so. Much learning goin game on.youll forget so,ethinh...goog luch

Xerocles

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
.now—-did you take notes? This key for the next tine times you do this won’t rem.
What? Are you suggesting I have a bad memory? Why, I'll have you know that I never for.......dang, now what was I saying?
Yes, I've reached that age where I start thinking a lot about the "hereafter". Like I walk into a room and stop to think "now what am I here after"?
Good points you make. Ahead of you on this one. Excel spreadsheet for pertinent facts and comment section for trivia.
And yes, I do follow "living traditions homestead".

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
AWWWWH. Adorable. They finally arrived. Congrats!! :yesss:

Yeah, you need to make notes. I used to just keep a spiral notebook with breeding/foaling notes when I had all the horses going full steam. I could see how long gestation, foal quirks, time of day, etc. Most often a lot of close repetition year to year. Then -- try to keep the book where you can find it.:lol:

Now, I do same with the goats. But they are generally right on time! Only rabbits for me were pets but, my DH did breed a pair one year, for the grankids to have something to play with.

Xerocles

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yeah, you need to make notes. Then -- try to keep the book where you can find it.:lol:
I was going to do the spiral notebook thing, but...
1. Even I can't read my writing.
2. I have trouble even finding my pants, much less a notebook.
It took me about 30 minutes to design an Excel spreadsheet, and it's hard for even ME to misplace my desktop computer. I make 4 entries-date bred, date kindled, # born, # weaned. Everything else (due date,re-breed date, wean date, etc) updates automatically, so I don't even need to use my fingers to know (or remember) when I need to put the nest box in and such. Even keeps a running tally of avg litter size and mortality rate from birth to weaning.
Gotta love computers.....except when you hate them.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
I was going to do the spiral notebook thing, but...
1. Even I can't read my writing.
2. I have trouble even finding my pants, much less a notebook.
It took me about 30 minutes to design an Excel spreadsheet, and it's hard for even ME to misplace my desktop computer. I make 4 entries-date bred, date kindled, # born, # weaned. Everything else (due date,re-breed date, wean date, etc) updates automatically, so I don't even need to use my fingers to know (or remember) when I need to put the nest box in and such. Even keeps a running tally of avg litter size and mortality rate from birth to weaning.
Gotta love computers.....except when you hate them.
Geez...I used to be A whiz with computers..it was one of my degrees...but now it’s useless...and I couldn’t get Excel to move the tabs to save my life :th But, I Just figured out those little critters

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Glad your babies are snug and warm. Sometimes you just have to give the mom a little help.

One of our ewes had a ram lamb yesterday, of course it dropped to 26 degrees that night. We had cleaned out the sheep barn and filled it with leaves. When I checked on sheep this morning, I didn't see him. I went in the barn looking and there he was, the ewe dug out a nest and he was buried in leaves, sung and warm.