Xerocles rabbit thread

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Do you just have the one meat buck? The buck can make a difference in the kits reaching weight by 8/10/12 weeks too. The litters I've had haven't made it to 5 lbs by 8 weeks, but they are usually there by 10-12 weeks. If your does aren't being good mommas then it might be time to cull, but if it's only their first litters they should get another chance.

Xerocles

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
1 buck I've been using, 20 months old, was in a commercial program that lost its market. Purebred Californian.
1 buck, unproven, 5 months old, pedigreed Champagne d' Argent out of Grand Champion, with lots of hope for the future.
Doe in question, bought at 6 mos, now 1 yr. Supposed pure New Zealand Red (broken). (Planning on "hybrid vigor" for kits. Also have pure Californian doe). Still only about 6 or 7 lbs. Kits are black&white.(pics on previous page) ???
Terrible Mom. 1st litter crushed. 2nd litter, almost 3 months, less than 3 lbs. 3rd litter almost no fur pulled, dns, hypothermia in 50f weather.
Mom on the way to the crock pot soon as I have time.
No worries. These were "learner" rabbits. Made my mistakes. Future hope on the QUALITY Champagnes I acquired. Onward and upward.

Xerocles

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Cuddles kindled this morning. 33 days and I was beginning to think another false pregnancy. Her first litter here, though she is an experienced breeder.
9 kits. All healthy pinkies....look exactly like They should, as purebred Californians.
So finally a bright spot for the rabbitry.
Honey It's still hanging out because I've been too busy to dispatch her. Can't even give away her only surviving litter. At only about 2 lbs on the "hoof", looks like they will make "light snack" rabbits.

20200528_171735.jpg

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Do the small kits look pretty? Might be able to try to sell them as pets? Otherwise I bet they'd make a good soup or crock pot meal even though they are small.

Congratulations on the new litter! I'm jealous of your number of kits, the highest I've had is 7, and that's for standard Rex. Hopefully Cuddles is a great mom and keeps those kits fat and happy.

Xerocles

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Do the small kits look pretty? Might be able to try to sell them as pets? Otherwise I bet they'd make a good soup or crock pot meal even though they are small.

Congratulations on the new litter! I'm jealous of your number of kits, the highest I've had is 7, and that's for standard Rex. Hopefully Cuddles is a great mom and keeps those kits fat and happy.
There's a pictue on post #145 of this thread. They're ugly. As I described them in that post, they look like they'd be Jack Skellington's pets if they ever made a "Nightmare Before Easter" movie. I've even tried to GIVE them away on social media, and no takers.
Yeah, I've about decided to debone, grind, and make a rabbitburger steak.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
@thistlebloom here ya go. And remember, in the right setting, a good photographer can make even a poor model look good. And I chose the most photogenic one.
Can you say "Waiter, there's a hare in my stew?"

View attachment 72393View attachment 72394View attachment 72395

@animalmom. Suggestion taken. 2 moved today, 2 Monday, and 3 about Wednesday.
Umm, spotty rabbits are actually desirable as pets. These guys are cute. Let me see if I can tag someone who can maybe help/give pointers for selling as pets.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ok, sorry that I’m late to the party...in post #145...what breed? They look like very very dark magpie..but I know you don’t breed those.....if they were close to magpie, they don’t have the Perf3ct spilt face but they are definitely adorable..and I cannot believe you would say people did not want to buy these bunnies..where the heck are you trying to sell them? In window stores...where people are not shopping?? Do you do FB? I can literally walk you through setting up a page to simply sell bunnies...if that is a goal...if not..never mind. But those are adorable animals!!and you are right...backdrop is key! Sometimes I put mine in a milk pail, or an egg basket..etc...

ok..how to make spotted rabbits...if you know this..ignore this. Spots are HIGH,Y DESIRED AS PSETS FOR KIDS! You need a solid rabbit...like a NZ...,and a California....breed together..and bammmm...all spots! Now...if you breed a spotted rabbit to a solid...you should get 50% solid, 50% spots... I could go on with ratios..bu5 it will bore you....color is different..I’m learning about genes and color...you don’t need to worry about genes..but kids and other breeders want color...blue is a desirable color...chocolate...rare..and very desirable....if you get those..keep one. Oh, the spots ‘lingo’ in the rabbit world...which..I know you know, because I saw the stuff you’ve been reading..but, just in case...it’s called ‘broken’.
if you want to learn about color in a fast way..got to ARB.com...it’s like a rabbit color cheat sheet🤣. It has all breeds and will teach you how to determine all the fancy dance names, etc...
so you can sound like a smarty pants! Also..if your getting more into breeding rabbits..buy pedigree...it costs more now...but each one rabbit you buy will multiply..quick and you can sell a young bunny for almost as muc( s a breedin* age rabbit. If you want a dual purpose..meaning you’d like to sell and eat..look into Flemish giant...as I’ve said, I haven’t been able to read lately, so I’m totally sorry if you already know this, etc. another tip...befriend breeders in your area..,they are very glad to help another breeder..make it someone about an hour away...then there’s really no worry in hurting their business. I’ve. Even getting a ton of help from other breeders....plus, they have sent other buyers my way when they don’t have a bunny but I do! I also offer discounts to breeders that i know I want to work with again...and I tell them that....it has really worked to my favor. Find a good rabbit transport. I find all of this stuff on FB..... I don’t have time to run a few hrs for rabbits, etc. I hired a girl to bring me four Rabbits.....the6 were two hrs away..cost me $30 ...can’t beat that!! Saved us all that time!! These are just a few tips. If you have Facebook...look at my page...C&D Rabbitry.....I just started it about two weeks ago? And I don’t remember to post daily...but, it’s doing really well! I, glad you’re kits are doing well...but don’t dare call the kits in post #145. Ugly..they are adorable!! If you sell Holland Lop..they sell fast..they are a great breed..but you can’t eat them..too small..strictly for breeding purposes. I’m really glad you are having good luck..oh, hey..don’t give up...as you’ve found out in your reading..rabbits store sperms..like my doe in the winter..and the6 can take up to 40 days to kindle. I actually wait 17 days to rebreed after a nightmare on day 46. Take more pictures!! 🤣❤️🐰👍😀👍❤️

Xerocles

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
@Larsen Poultry Ranch and @Duckfarmerpa1
Thanks for the concern AND help.
I have the rabbits for MY peace of mind and to put some meat in the freezer. I don't want to deal with "pet people".....or pet rabbits. I don't sell. If I need to make money, I'll go back to work. I had someone call me yesterday, practically begging me to come back.
These were "learner rabbits". I got done by their breeder. Oh well. That's part of the learning too. I will eventually eat these little mongrels....it will just cost me more in food than it should.
The other learner Rabbit, Cuddles/Cruella. Someone told me months ago...SOME does Mellow out when they kindle. NOT CRUELLA! She has gone berserk. As in vicious. As in, I'm literally scared to put my hand in her cage, even with leather gloves. As in, I'll let her wean this litter, and will dispatch her INSIDE her cage. Maybe not the most humane dispatch, because accurate shot placement will not be possible, but seriously, I am afraid of that rabbit.
I spent much of today with the rabbits. Originally, I had both rows of cages facing West, facing front to back as it were. It worked, but I never enclosed the rabbitry. Suddenly, between my dog and chickens, I realized I was getting NO rabbit poop for my garden. And that was a big reason for wanting the rabbits in the first place. So Now, the cages all face each other, to the center walkway. BIG job alone. Tying each cage at each corner, lowering each corner 4 inches at a time, then, turned around, same process back into the air. Also installed a gravity feed water system. The kits alone were going through a gallon and a half a day, so I was filling 2/3 times, and feeling guilty when I'd check and they were out. Now, 5 gallons each morning and I shouldn't have to worry.
Tomorrow, I wrap it in wire, and should be good to go for awhile.
Two more weeks and I can breed the Champagne doe. And I may keep a doe from Cruella's litter. She's big and meaty....and the kits LOOK like pure Californians, so far. Hopefully they won't inherit her bad temper.

Latest posts