Ya'll, I have no idea what to do.

Youngfarmer2019

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Im in need of advice. Here's my situation (it gets a little confusing)
(BACKSTORY) We have been fencing in my grandmas property so she can take her (very disobedient) dog back, a great pyrenees that jumps every fence and gate we have. That fencing job is our top priority right now. The problem is, since we are trying to get her side of the property fenced, we are having to unexpectedly postpone fencing our back pasture, where I planned on having all the goats moved to before they kid.
OK, now to the problem...
The first doe (talking goats here, not rabbits) is due in March or April, I have one, possibly two due in late April/early may. I don't think we're going to get the back pasture fenced before March. The goats are moved to pasture on a different part of the property every morning and moved to their nighttime pen every evening at 4:30. This is so they can get an adequate amount of browse time and so they aren't cooped up in a pen too small for six goats. When the does kid should I leave moms and babies in the nighttime pen until the babies grow up (the other goats would sleep with them every night)? They can't be moved with the other goats because 1. i don't think they could keep up (the other goats run to pasture in the morning), and 2. the pasture they would be going to every morning has a pond in it and I know kids like to play and I don't want them falling off the dock or falling into the pond and drowning. I can possibly set up a small, separate pen with cattle panel for does and their babies, but it would be in a hard to reach place in part of the back pasture.
I just don't know what to do with mom and babies until the back pasture is fenced:hu🤦‍♀️

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
Google says that a bottle raised goat gets fed 3x daily... :idunno So would Early AM, late afternoon and overnight count??? Maybe someone else will chime in soon.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Could you add onto their pen for the does and kids?

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
If there is a safe area, no predation or tangle obstacles....you could tie her out for part of day, kids won't leave her. In couple weeks they'll be running you ragged! 🥰

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Is the area where you graze the older goats fenced and safe from predators? If so, you can turn the mamas and kids out each day eventually.

I would suggest keeping the does and their kids in the night pen for at least a week to bond, and so you can supervise their health in case of any problems. Once the kids are bonded with their mothers, and the does know which ones are theirs, you can turn everyone out together. The mothers will protect their kids from the other goats, and the kids will be able to keep up with them on the race to the pasture. If you are afraid the kids will fall into the pond from the dock, maybe fence that approach off. They will not venture into the pond far enough to drown from the pond edge. They will stay with their mothers and will learn to graze and drink from the pond like the others do. They will also learn to return to the night pen with the others because they will follow their mothers in from the pasture. My main fear would be predators.