Yankee'N'Moxie--My life with horses and chickens...

yankee'n'moxie

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hello all! I just heard about his and I wanted to start one, it sounds like lots of fun! So, just to introduce myself, I will answer some of the starter questions below! Look forward to hearing what you guys think!

What state/province/country are you in and what is your climate like? I am in Maine, USA (obviously). And our summers get up to around like 95 at the hottest, and winters are around -10 at the coldest.

How many people are in your family? 5

Is it a hobby or an occupation? Hobby
In what areas are you knowledgeable and in what areas would you like to learn more?I took lessons in Western for a short time (one summer) but I know that there is a ton more that I can learn. I have learned a lot riding by myself, but I would like to do things more "properly". My horse reins the English way (with two hands) because he was a pacer. SO it is hard to teach myself Western, when riding him. I would love to get into Western stuff like team penning, or barrel racing, but that is not too easy with a horse that is afraid of cows, LOL

Do you make crafts or useful items? Would you want to teach others how to do these? I make jewelery out of wire, and sometimes out of hemp, with beads of all sorts.

Do you have any livestock? What kinds?I have 2 horses and 14 chickens. I also have an indoor dog and cat, and a hamster

How much space/land do you have or rent? City farm? Country? 20 acres, in the country.

Do you use a wood stove for heating or cooking? We have a wood stove in the basement for a little heat, but our home is heated mostly by oil.

Are your family or friends also interested in animals? My little brother likes to ride, but isn't interested enough to want his own horses. My parents like the horses, and walk them, scratch them, etc. but aren't crazy about them. My friend is an eventer. And my other friend wants me to teach her to ride.

Do you like to cook? Are you interested in whole foods and natural foods? raw milk? farm fresh eggs? I don't like to cook, but we do buy raw milk, straight from the farm and we eat our own farm fresh eggs, produced by our flock.

What was your best animal experience? Worst? I think that my best animal experience has been getting to know my horses as individuals, and realizing that they do all have different personalities. And the worst? Hmmm.... LOL, I don't think that I could choose a worst, as they have all been great learning and growing experiences.

Do you forage or hunt for part of your food needs? My dad does the hunting, LOL

In what do you trust? God

Do you make and fix things yourself to save money? Yes! We are just finishing up on an 8X12 horse run-in. That will make two of them, one for each horse...

I mentioned above that I have 2 horses, they are a Standardbred, and a Standardbred X Appaloosa. The STBD is a gelding, and his name is Yankee, he is 15.3hh and about 1000#. Moxie is the STBD X Appy and she is 14.3hh and about 900#. I also have chickens: 6 BO, 6 Wyandottes, 1 Golden comet (sexlink), and a Golden comet X BO (I like to call her an Orpet, LOL) for a total of 14!

Here are some pics:

Yankee
4857_2012-2-8_019.jpg

4857_2012-2-8_015.jpg

Moxie
4857_2012-2-8_020.jpg

4857_2012-2-8_044.jpg

Some of my chickens:

Winchester (Winnie for short), the Orpet :lol: (cutest chick ever!)
4857_winnie_as_chick.jpg

4857_hpim4954.jpg

Winnie older
4857_hpim5631.jpg

Tootsie, my one eyed rooster as a youngster
4857_hpim5559.jpg

Tootsie, older
4857_pictures_050.jpg

My "Two Rooster Hitch", consisting of Smith and Wesson (their daddy was Remington, Winchester is their sister, and they have another sister called Daisy!)
4857_hpim6814.jpg

4857_hpim6818.jpg

And last but not least, some chicks that I hatched in an incubator! I ended up selling them, but they were so cute!
4857_pictures_163.jpg

4857_pictures_167.jpg

(this one is sleeping, not dead!)
4857_pictures_185.jpg

4857_pictures_186.jpg

4857_pictures_189.jpg

Edited because I realized that my thread name had to start with my username. Whoops!

dwbonfire

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
:frow :welcome
I love the pic of the chickens wearing the harnesses!! Too cute!!

yankee'n'moxie

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thanks! I trained them to walk on them like a hitch of horses! I think that it would be especially cute if I made them a little sleigh or something! LOL

yankee'n'moxie

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Good Morning all!

This is a beautiful day in Maine! Cold, but beautiful! The horses were running around the pasture, bucking, rearing, rolling, and bolting! They love the cold! I however, could go without! LOL I think that the chickens would like it to go away too! When I opened the coop this morning, they were disgusted that I should try to put them out in the snow!

yankee'n'moxie

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hey all,

We just got back from picking up the bridesmaid's dresses for my sister's wedding. If any of you are like me, you don't like dresses. Especially formal ones! So anyways, my sister chose very long halter top dresses and I tried mine on. It is OK, better than some that she could have chosen, but worse than others. I had chosen one that she liked and she had told me that is what we were going with, but when we went back with the other two bridesmaids, she chose this one instead:

http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product...-81441_Bridal-Party-Bridesmaids-Shop-By-Color

That is the one that she chose except in the plum color. IDK, what do you guys think?

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
I like the plum color.

Personally I love when brides chose a color and allow their bridesmaids to chose different dresses to suit them as long as they are in that color (and maybe a specific length).

I had a black and white wedding, so all of my bridesmaids were in black dresses. It was very elegant.

yankee'n'moxie

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thanks guys!

We are all wearing the same dress. I put it on last night and she says that it is pretty slimming (I am a size 16). Although, I think that she may have been trying to make me feel better, because I am VERY uncomfortable in it. I am more of a jeans, t-shirt and sweatshirt kind of girl. Not enjoying the low cut. Oh well, I guess I must really love her since I am going to wear it in front of like 150-200 wedding guests!!

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
Size 16 is a good size. But I don't blame you. I don't like to wear dresses either. You must really love her. But remember, the 150 - 200 guests aren't even going to notice the bridesmaids. They will be looking at the bride. So relax!

And ask her if you can have a small matching bolero jacket or a light pretty sweater to wear during the reception if you feel uncomfortable with the low cut of the dress. That way you won't feel so uncomfortable. If she loves YOU as much as you love her, she will be fine with that. It's pretty common attire for a reception, BTW. take a look here

They are extremely easy to sew.