Yeah! Cooper deficiency GONE in two does, herbally!

AlaskanShepherdess

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
In less then 2 weeks of giving my goats Kop-Sel from Fir Meadow, two no longer have fishtails at all, 1 is dramatically improved and the last (that I am having trouble getting her to take Kop-Sel) is only slightly improved.

:weee I am SO happy to see that! The LAST thing I wanted to do was put copper in their stomach's!

I am hooked on Fir Meadows products for sure!

Emmetts Dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
What is it made of?? It had no detail discription of what it is??? Anything on the package it came it??? My only concern with no details..is that there is'ant enough information on what ppm are in there. Copper / Selenium toxicty can happen and thats not good.

Dont get me wrong..Im not against herbals at all. I just would be concerned about the information about how much is in there..and how much are they recieving. Important to know.

If you have any details..I would appreciate it. Thanks!

chandasue

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I agree about toxicity but I'm very interested too if you find out that info.

Our7Wonders

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I'm sure Kat would be happy to answer any questions anyone has. I haven't used this yet but have considered it. She's been raising goats naturally for a very long time. Used to live near me and was one of my customers. She's also a master herbalist.

Emmetts Dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Our7Wonders said:
I'm sure Kat would be happy to answer any questions anyone has. I haven't used this yet but have considered it. She's been raising goats naturally for a very long time. Used to live near me and was one of my customers. She's also a master herbalist.
Whos Kat??? The women who make the Kop-Sel???

AlaskanShepherdess

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Yes Kat is the Master Herbalist who came up with the Kop-Sel Formula.

Because these are herbs you cannot say "there is such and such ppm of copper in so much powder." The herbs used in the formula are those that have more copper and selenium in them then other herbs.

I am not concerned about toxicity because you give the animal a small amount of the herb formula until the symptoms disappear. If you were to give them the herbs after the symptoms were gone, then yes you might have a problem.

Because the minerals are in a whole food form you do not need the huge amounts of copper that you would need if you were giving the inorganic minerals, such as the copper used for copper boluses, or the selenium found in Bo-Se.

For instance, kelp has a TINY amount of copper in it, barely registers as it even having some, but the tiny amount of copper that was in the kelp I was giving my goats was enough to very slowly begin to reduce the deficiency. But it was very slow in my goats. It only took two weeks in my rabbit though.

I would be much more concerned about the toxicity of the copper boluses and Bo-Se then I would anything from herbs.

SDGsoap&dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
CrownofThornsNDGoats said:
Because these are herbs you cannot say "there is such and such ppm of copper in so much powder."
Why not? At some point someone had to figure out the herbs were higher in copper/selenium, right? How do they know it's higher if there hasn't been an analysis? Not arguing against the use of herbs, mind you, but the ones labeled for human consumption are required to have a guaranteed analysis so it seems like it'd be possible with herbs intended for the goats. Just curious.

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
n.smithurmond said:
CrownofThornsNDGoats said:
Because these are herbs you cannot say "there is such and such ppm of copper in so much powder."
Why not? At some point someone had to figure out the herbs were higher in copper/selenium, right? How do they know it's higher if there hasn't been an analysis? Not arguing against the use of herbs, mind you, but the ones labeled for human consumption are required to have a guaranteed analysis so it seems like it'd be possible with herbs intended for the goats. Just curious.
Actually supplements labeled for human consumption are not regulated. They are required to have an analysis but there is no regulation that confirms the analysis. The government is only allowed to get involved if something is proven to be dangerous. Most companies are pretty good aboutwhat the label says is what you get but some are not. Some random checks by independent watch groups have shown that sometimes the amounts listed on the label do not reflect what is in the bottle.

Emmetts Dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Im am gonna email "Kat" and see if she has further information. Becuase really no mater where it comes from plants, soils, loose minerals or rods it has to have a PPM. Thats the important part of dosing minerals to goats. Too much can be toxic and thats what concerns me. Selenium toxcity remsembles copper deffiency. So its really important to know how much they are recieving.

Uhhhhh Goaties!! :th They'll be the death of me!! :gig

So maybe she will have a little more info on that in her products??? So I will let you know what I discover.

AlaskanShepherdess

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
You can get someone to test how many ppm there is in one batch, but it is going to change from batch to batch because this is not a processed, human made food. This is nature made food and how much copper/selenium it has is going to depend on a whole bunch of stuff, the soil it was grown on that year, drought or wet conditions etc.

So in order to say how many ppm there is, she would have to test each batch.

I do recommend you ask her though, she is very knowledgeable and I think will be able to put your worries at ease.

Latest posts