Yearling doe developing an udder?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
But if she is bred you don't want to milk her as she would have colostrum which would be yucky and she needs it for her babies.

Colostrum doesn't come in til right at kidding.
We have milked goats all the way up to kidding time. Most goats are milked until a month before kidding so I wouldn't worry about that.

On the other hand I have heard different views on milking the precocious udder. Some say don't some say fine...
:idunno
We don't milk any of ours with a precocious udder.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I had a kid nurse all the way through her mom freshening and the vet slapped my hand. Told me I should have stopped her a month before so the colostrum could be there. :idunno I wasn't drinking it so I had no idea when it came in.

As far as milking the precocious udder...I have Mocha who doesn't really get a precocious udder as she cycles and gets bred and never settles. Moonpie on the other hand hasn't been bred or exposed to a buck for 4 years and she still comes into milk every summer. So is that still a precocious udder? IDK. But I used to milk her and the more I milked her the more milk I got. I am not milking her this year as she has a hard time getting on the milk stand these days. :(

Latest posts