Yearling Doe - Spent 4 Months with a Buck - Bred?

Ravie

Just born
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am a new goat owner. Today I purchased a yearling Nubian doe. She has a smaller frame and is roughly 60-70lbs. She's exactly the same size as my other yearling doe.

As I was leading the little lady to my trailer, her previous owner said, "Oh, by the way, she's been with a buck for four months. Don't worry! She's not bred. She is way too small to have heat cycles." I brought the doe home anyway, but the more I think about it, the more I think this goat is probably bred.

What do you think? How likely is it that I'm gonna be a goat grandma this summer?

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
:welcome I would definitely be keeping an eye on her (for heats or pregnancy signs) and preparing for kids! Does generally begin having heat cycles around 6-8 months of age, so it is entirely probable that she's pregnant.

Ravie

Just born
Reaction score
Thank-you for your response. I thought so too, but even today the owner emailed me to say that Nubians are seasonal breeders so my doe is NOT pregnant. I am not sure what to think! I probably should do the pregnancy test. As a new owner, I'm afraid I'll miss something. I don't want her to have insufficient nutrition.

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
From what I understand, they are seasonal. Someone will have to correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the season was usually from about September to January? Perhaps since this was a harsh winter she would be less likely to go into estrus that late? I'm not sure. I have Pygmies and Dwarf goats and they are year-round breeders and when I had standards they were usually bred by October/November at the latest.

Ravie

Just born
Reaction score
Since I've never had a pregnant goat before, if she were bred in January, would she be "showing" yet? She definitely does not look pregnant at this point.

MaggieMay

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Size has nothing to do with it, its the age of sexual maturity. Ive had 4 and 5 month olds acting very much in heat trying to get to the buck.....
Last year, I let my friend breed her saanen/ alpine doe to my ober buck at the end of March till mid April. I had read somewhere that swiss breeds, vs nubians and boers, since they originated north of the equator, were very difficult to get bred after January/ Feb. He also didnt act that interested in her, and she was pretty mean to him. That August, she had two doelings.
I think your idea to have her tested is a good one, goat grandma ;)

Also, my friend with nubians had 2 yearlings freshen this year who you would swear to look at them werent pregnant even right before they kidded.