Yearling growth

twinlights

Just born
Reaction score
I just measured my yearling. I thought he was looking very tall. Still, I didn't expect him to be 15.2H and butt high yet again. :ep
So, I went back into my records and found the growth chart for my 17H three year old. I nearly dropped the folder, he was only 14.1 H at a year old. OH OH!!!!! :th

Who else has a yearling or two? Can you share their heights? I just want to know I don't have another freak of nature on my hands. :gig

Bronco Hollow

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Sorry, I don't have a yearling [boo-hoo! :hit]

I didn't measure my Bashkir when he was that age... his sire and dam where 15 hands and shorter.... what I have is a 16HH :barnie
I wasn't looking for that tall of a horse LOL

Hoping some one else will see your inquiry and comment on theirs!

valmom

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
My yearling is still only 14'2". I really don't care how big she gets- her mom is only 15'3". Sounds like you'll have a big one on your hands :)

haviris

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I think he'll be a big boy, but I don't think you can really go by how tall he is as a yearling, it doesn't mean he'll be bigger then the 17H boy, or even as big. They all grow at their own rates, some faster some slower. I prefer the 15.2-3 range myself, so if it was me I'd be hoping he was just one of the faster growers, but I hope you are wanting a big one!

twinlights

Just born
Reaction score
LOL! I usually shy away from the ugly yackling (yearling) photos.
The sun is out today (hasn't been in about a month) so maybe I can get some action pics.

I know they all grow at different rates, etc. But I have never had a yearling reach 15.2H. Hopefully he is a grow fast, then slow down sort of fellow. Val was a grow slow then OMG, forgot that I needed to be 17H, and grow fast type. :lol:
Val's parents are both 16.3, so he is definately going to be much bigger. Ozzie (the yearling) his parents are 16H (dam) and 17H (sire). So who knows what he will do.

Personally, I like the ponies. I haven't ridden anything over 14H in years. I think I have developed a fear of heights. I even hired someone to start Val under saddle. :hu
Or maybe its just age, I don't know.

valmom

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I do find that as I age I am less enthusiastic about starting my own.;)

twinlights

Just born
Reaction score
Ok, here are a couple photos of Oz. Not very good ones, but its all I got. Whenever I walked away they would run and play, but when I took out the camera, they would stop and eat. :idunno

Ozz.jpg

090705011740.jpg

currycomb

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
supposedly, you can measure a horse's lower leg to get an idea how tall he will get. find center of knee, measure to coronet band. if the tape reads 17 inches=17 hands. 17 1/4"=17.1, 17 1/2"=17.5 hands, you get the picture. has been pretty accurate with my quarter horse types.

Latest posts