Yearling has bleeding, is "skinny", and milk but no signs of baby

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
If she bagged up, then I would milk her and save it since it should be colostrum. Was your husband's arm in far? Usually to get all the way into the uterus, you are in up to your elbow.

bbredmom

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I didn't ask exactly how far, but he grew up homesteading goats, so I trust him to do it far enough.

Her temp was 103.1, respiration normal, gut sounds normal, seems to be a happy healthy goat.

SuburbanFarmChic

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
The only way to be absolutely sure is to have a vet scan her. Also if she did have a false pregnancy she may not have passed all of the bits of tissue etc from that so she'll need to stay on an antibiotic for at least 5 days. We do 10 with retained placenta.

I would feel very comfortable milking her. Save the colostrum for future use. Toss the milk during the antibiotic and for the withdrawal time and then use it after you hit the first good date.

bbredmom

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
The vet will be back in town tomorrow, but she doesn't have an ultrasound. She's a wonderful vet, very flexible and willing to talk anytime of day or nite, but doesn't have a lot of equipment.

I'm going to call my Cat/Dog vet and see if they have one and if so if they will scan her.

I was going to do 1cc LA200 for 5 days (going by fiasco farms 3cc per 100 pounds, and she weighs about 30 pounds). I'm going to milk her tonite and freeze the colostrum. We never seem to have it when we need it :) She didn't seem opposed to the quick milking I did this morning. Of course I'm a HORRIBLE milker (anyone who says its easy obviously didn't grow up in the city like me) so we shall see how it goes.