Yearling Quote? (pic)

Empera

Just born
Reaction score
Hi everyone! :) I'm a new poster but a long time lurker haha. & I apologize if I posted this in the wrong section, my bad.

The place where my boyfriend and I work at has excellent grass to graze on, but the boss hasn't had any horses or cows in a long time. He's 73, so the upkeep on animals would be difficult. A friend of his owns around 40 horses on a 40 acre ranch in Ellensburg. She's also an older lady of 70-72 and doesn't live on the ranch. She hires people to stay in trailers on her ranch to "take care of the horses" yet all they do is get paid for not doing their job. They let several stallions run loose at all times. Very unresponsible. Not only is that somewhat frustrating, she doesn't supplement them with any other food than what the ground is growing that year!

Yes, I was in shock! :barnie There are too many horses on that ranch to share that much grass. No hay, no grain, no health care, nothing. My boss said that they probably practically starve through the winter and I wouldn't be surprised if he was spot on with his prediction. :he

Well, on to the real story..:/

He recieves a few horses every summer, just for the summer, to graze on his few acres of healthy grass. She takes them back to the ranch for the winter and returns next summer with different horses. Sounds okay if you weren't considering the way she neglects her horses...

Last July, she dropped off a two paint mares, with a two week old colt at one's side. All three horses look emaciated, and needed extra help. In a month she took the lone paint mare (the one without the colt) home, and said she would be back in a month. We'd been giving them grain slowly to build up some fat, because I guarantee if an Animal Control officer would have showed up to look at these horses, my boss would have been in a lot of trouble. (My boyfriend's father is in animal control and said so himself, but understood the situation).

The mare built up a tiny bit, but not nearly enough to look healthy. We kept waiting for the lady to take these horses back, but it became October and she kept making excuses as to why she couldn't get them.

Now, she gave us the mare for free, she is a sweety and has been given a second chance with us. The colt needs to find a new home because my boss doesn't have a way to seperate the mare and colt on the property he has currently. He is still nursing off of her, and although she now looks loads healthier (seriously) that is still causing her to use a lot of energy to produce milk.

So, what I'm really asking is what I should price this guy for? He is a little shy, but thats because he wasn't handled at all until he was 2 months old, and even then it was difficult to handle him because of the way the property was set up.

Here is a few pictures of him.

Last Augusts pictures
2n9kphw.jpg

29qimnk.jpg

A lot more recent picture.
2ajpfzc.jpg

What do you think?
:barnie

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
thats a goodlooking mare an colt.you got a real good deal on them.

Empera

Just born
Reaction score
wynedot55 said:
thats a goodlooking mare an colt.you got a real good deal on them.
Indeed, thank you. :)

It was on awful terms where I got them this way. Do you know what you would sell him for?

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
the truth is horses just dont sell to good anymore.but id try to get $350 or $400 for him.

Empera

Just born
Reaction score
I wasn't looking for anything outrageous, I just wanted an estimate. :) I just want him to go to a good home and get everything he deserves, but thank you!

()relics

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
with the present economic situation; the price of horses has dropped into the basement. They are both beautiful and look well-kept, the colt looks rather flashy.....but I would say that being a colt will hurt a little, I would consider gelding him. Price-wise a yearling/weanling without papers or bloodline to rely on may only be worth 100 or 200...This sounds horrible but probably its the truth. I've seen young horses at auctions bring as little as $50...
I train horses as a hobby/second job and have a pasture full of weanlings/yearlings that I have run across, couldn't believe the price, and bought...That even after I set the rule of only buying papered Qhorses with good blood lines...You may just want to keep him, get him fixed,and make him your horse. Then if you have to get rid of a horse find the mare a new home....JMO
...if you lived near me I'm afraid I might want him to add to my collection...I hope you live far away.....

Empera

Just born
Reaction score
()relics said:
You may just want to keep him, get him fixed,and make him your horse. Then if you have to get rid of a horse find the mare a new home....JMO

...if you lived near me I'm afraid I might want him to add to my collection...I hope you live far away.....
Well, I had that intention at first, but we won't have the time or huge commitment to train a yearling colt. But the mare has shown signs that she has been broken before, which is a lot more manageable for us than breaking a more than normal spirited colt. :p We've been working with her with a halter and lead rope and just recently felt confident enough to sit on her. I'm sure she hasn't been ridden in 4+ years, so it's a good sign that I sat on her and all she did was give me a "well, now that's odd.." look, haha. I'd say her temperment is a 2 on a 10 scale. Though, his looks tempt me and all. If I had the experience of breaking horses, trust me, I wouldn't consider selling him. But here I am, almost 18 years of age and not too experienced. :idunno

I live in Washington state, well away from Indiana, :lol: Lucky for you, :) Otherwise that's a lot of weanlings/yearlings for you to look after!

I'll most likely say Best Offer in regards to the colt, we need to get him out of here quickly because of his stallion behavior, we don't want a inbreeding! I'll check out Craigslist and put up a local ad at the nearby feed store.

mully

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
You want to charge enough so that the horse goes to a person that can keep up with its food. Or inspect the place he will be living. Will they breed him and if not can they pay for the gelding expenses.

Farrier!

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
What if anything you can get for him depends on your area.
The sales around here registered colts are selling for 20 to 80 at the sales.

Chickerdoodle13

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I have a feeling in Washington you may be able to get a bit more for him than in other places throughout the country. I live in New Jersey and young horses are still selling for prices anywhere in between $500 and $2500 depending on the breeding. We have a young horse we are looking to sell and my dad is thinking of asking about $1000-$800 for her, but he is more than willing to lower the price down to $500 (Which is what we paid for her, and she is registered)

Unfortunately we ended up with too many horses all at the same time because the prices were just so right. I fell in love with the free horse we got and the baby has been left to the side.