Yearling steer antics

Blue Sky

Herd Master
Reaction score
Our yearling steer (bottle calf) recently lost his brother to the freezer. He appeared to mope, off his food and calling. Since then he's gotten mischievous, pushing things around and crazy as it sounds, he seems to want to play. Today he raced the truck as my husband left with the trailer. He has some sheep for company but seems interested in us beyond the feed bucket. (Should I find him a hobby? Lol)

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Our yearling steer (bottle calf) recently lost his brother to the freezer. He appeared to mope, off his food and calling. Since then he's gotten mischievous, pushing things around and crazy as it sounds, he seems to want to play. Today he raced the truck as my husband left with the trailer. He has some sheep for company but seems interested in us beyond the feed bucket. (Should I find him a hobby? Lol)

He's lonely, and the sheep are no replacement for his "lost brother". Cattle are herd animals, and especially when they are used to being with some of their own kind then lose them, they will react. I would find him some company , at least another calf to be buddies with through the fence or you may wind up finding him going over the fence one day. Some are more content to be alone and will get over in a few days to some extent, but they are happier with company. I try to never raise one of anything, so they have company and feel safer.

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
Is he going to go for butcher?

Blue Sky

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not anytime soon. Wonder if I should get him a jolly ball :). It was cool this a.m. and he was kicking up his heels. I had no idea how curious cattle could be. He's not causing any problems and we are careful around him.

Reactions: TAH

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
jolly ball might keep him happy.

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Yea, jolly balls are fun ... they hit it with their heads, it bounces to the fence, next thing you know is the fence post then the fence becomes pasture art that needs additional improvment so the next fence post is it. :lol:

Blue Sky

Herd Master
Reaction score
I was thinking I could hang it from a rope (don't they have handles?) and let him play tether ball. Just went out and brushed him he liked that.

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, he needs either a buddy or something to keep his mind occupied. Sounds like he's bored, which explains why would get a bit mischievous. A jolly ball would work (they do have handles so you can hang them up at probably nose-height), so would a big rubber ball (almost like a yoga ball) that he could head-butt around and chase. Brushing/grooming sounds like it will work as well. Anything that is an activity to keep things fun for him.

I wonder if those horse balls (look like ginormous soccer balls) would be fun for him to play with too?

cjc

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
In my experience a single cow is a lonely cow. I always try to keep them in a minimum of pairs. I have a yearling coming back to the farm in a few days to bulk up before he goes to slaughter and I will move a cow to keep him company, if not they just start trying to destroy things or jump fences.

I have one calf that I did let live with our horse for a few months. They really bonded well but most cows don't enjoy horses. But in this case I always caught them laying together.

Cows are also just bad haha. We always joke about when we leave something new in the pasture all the cows rush over and say "oh look something new let's mess with it". If we leave the tractor in the field they will literally try and climb in it. They are just funny that way.

I just posted about this in another post but the only bottle calf that I tried raising alone always tries to mount me. I really have to watch my back with him now as he is about 375lbs. Something about it just being me and him for that time period and me trying to smother him in affection because I thought he was lonely has turned me into his mating partner. He only does it to me....