1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Guess the build... - Discussion thread.
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Yearlings bullying pen-mate

Discussion in 'Behaviors & Handling Techniques - Cattle' started by Cindy in SD, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Sep 12, 2018
    Mrs1885

Mrs1885 Chillin' with the herd

I'm just here to drool over your Highlands. :) We don't have enough land for cattle, but if we did I definitely would want Highlands.

RollingAcres likes this.
  2. Sep 12, 2018
    bethh

bethh Overrun with beasties

They are just beautiful. Sorry I have no advice. Just admiring your babies. I'd love to have some. I'll have to admire from afar.

RollingAcres likes this.
  3. Sep 13, 2018
    Jesusfreak101

Jesusfreak101 Loving the herd life

They are so pretty!!! Not enough experience with cattle. But I would agree that animals have a tendency to want to be in charge and will establish it but we humans can see it as mean when if we let them have their way it tends to be get over with faster. That being said their a difference in establishing dominance and out right intent of harm so I would agree to watch them. I worked on a horse ranch some where very much more aggressive then the others in personality so they tended to lead the herd. Thankfully they never got to mean. And I would happen to agree with separate housing (divided housing) so they bullied and the bully can get away from each other. We have (we being my husband family and us) charolias cows they can get rowdy with one another. I love the look of the highlanders but I don't think south Texas would work well for all that hair...:(

RollingAcres likes this.
  4. Sep 13, 2018
    BreanneRN

BreanneRN Ridin' The Range

Well, if it came down to having to get rid of one, I would get rid of the bully... especially since that one is smaller. Since you only have 3, the remaining 2 will bond and get along peacefully. The other option is to separate out the bully and keep her where she can't do her evil work... They are smart and can learn. She will not like being by herself. If it doesn't resolve in a week on it's own, I would take steps to stop it from becoming a habit. I wonder if you could use one of those dog shock collars and correct the behavior with that... I never have had a dog that needed one of those but have seen others use them effectively.